Why does my soap have a rind on it?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's darker/brownish around the edges, it's probably from the vanillin content in your FO reacting with the air. The rest of your soap will darken up over time (though it might be splotchy).

If it's white and up top, it's probably ash.

Is it delicious? Did you make cheese instead of soap? Just kidding. :)

As the other mentioned, more descriptions or a picture would help.

Could be ash, could be something in the soap reacting like an FO/EO which might even out as the inside of the soap reacts with air, could be too much melon. If it's the melon thing use less melon next time. As EG asked state your recipe and people will be able to make more specific suggestions.

The same thing recently happened to me. Someone joked about making cheese, but that's almost exactly what it feels like! Like a little babybel!

I am wondering, in my case, if it was because of a partial gel. My gel didn't reach the outside edges, and it's really soft inside but waxy and stretchy on the edges. I also got ash on top.

Does this sound similar to yours?

This has happened to my soaps too. It's hard to describe but kind of "lotion" like feeling and makes to soap look cloudy? Could it be stearic acid? I just rubbed it off and they look great. If not, Soda ash.

Latest posts

Back