Does ROE (rosemary oleoresin) darken soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Hi all --

I've started to add ROE (rosemary oleoresin) to my containers of liquid soaping fats to help keep them fresh. I've been adding ROE at 0.5 g per 1000 g of fat (0.05%). The product I've been using is the 2% carnosic acid formulation from Majestic Mountain Sage.

The uncolored parts of my latest few batches of soap have a dull greenish tinge -- they're not that nice ivory white I normally expect from my high-lard soaps. The soaps otherwise look and act fine. It's just an odd color cast that seems unusual.

I also saw an odd rusty flush to the soap batter right after I added lye solution to the fats when I was making these batches. This flush of color faded after a few moments, but, again, I don't recall seeing this before I started to use ROE.

Has anyone seen this with their soaps using fats treated with ROE?

My MMS product is older, so I have been wondering if it perhaps goes bad with time and should be discarded. I've double checked the dosage and think I've got it right, but I'd like feedback on that too.

Any words of wisdom will be gratefully appreciated!

DeeAnna, I use ROE in all my batches. The one I use is 7%. As you know, it is a dark green, brownish color, but we only use a very small amount, compared to the other ingredients. I think it can affect color slightly, say, if you were making lard soap, and expecting a pristinely white bar, you might see it just slightly off white, but to the point of having a "dull greenish tinge".....I wouldn't think so. Also, I've never noticed a "rusty flush" when adding the lye water. I'd try a batch without, and see if you still notice those symptoms, if they're not there, you'll know what the culprit is. Good luck!

That's the direction I'm leaning toward ... go back to basics and confirm it's the ROE or not. When I say a greenish tinge, it's like an older white tee shirt vs a new tee right out of the package. Still light colored, but not sparkly bright anymore. Thanks for the feedback!

I'm also using a 7% carnosic acid ROE. Using it at approximately 0.05% I have not noticed the color of my soap to be off.

Latest posts

Back