Hi Folks.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemsupthepoley

Reaction score
Thought I would say hello to everyone. I'm in sunny Scotland.

I have fancied soapmaking for a while and raed a bit about it and wavered from the path. Recently I looked things up again and here I am, signed into another online forum and waiting for batch No3 to cure.

I got some deer suet and thought it would be a cheap start to soap making!!!!!

I've just rendered a batch of beef suet and I'm just preparing to embark on recipe No4.

Been using CP and seem to be making what looks like soap:p

I'll no doubt have some questions in the future.

best wishes.

Brian

Hey, hey and welcome. I have visited Scotland a couple of times (yay, Fringe Festival) and the people are so nice. Although I admit that there were some times when I did not understand a **** thing they were saying and just nodded wisely/happily and hoped that they would not be offended. Soaping is awesome, as is this board, I think you will be happy here.

Added to say: I have only used lard and tallow, which have been really great, let us know how the deer suet works out after curing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome folks. Sunny Scotland? 1976 was an awesome year, really sunny for the whole summer.:crazy:

Yes, there are one or two local dialects that can catch folk out. Safe bet is if you're offered a dram, nod and say yes:cool:

The tallow renering couldn't have been easier.

Butchers, kidney fat or suet (same thing). Ask for it minced or ground.

Pop in crock pot and stir occasionally. It all melted and I sieved off about 3 tablespoons of meaty coloured/blood stuff.

Filtered through kitchen paper. Beautiful white tallow.

thanks again for the welcome.

Hi and welcome! I'm up in the Highlands, about an hour north of Inverness. Scotland is always sunny, we just don't like to let on in case our peace is wrecked by a gazillion tourists :D

Deer suet?!?! Sooo jealous! Everytime I ask deer processors for deer fat during hunting season, they look at me like I'm an idiot and explain that deer is lean and has little to no fat. Apparently deer in colder areas (I'm in the Southeastern US) build up some fat stores, but not so much here.

Latest posts

Back