Storage of soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shau

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to soap making and have made 3 batches that are curing. Just wondering where do you store the soap after its ready to use?

If you will search "soap storage", you will find a plethora of threads where we recently discussed that. Be sure you have soap that has cured 4-6 weeks minimum(unless it is Castile, then it needs MUCH longer cure), because where and how to cure is different than where and how to store.

My soap storage system is super fancy and expensive. NOT. :)

I get cardboard flats from Costco. Earth Fare also has them. These are the cardboard containers that boxes of items (usually produce) came in. Look for the ones that have tabs that fit into the flat above. These tabs make stacking SUPER easy. I put my new soap in the flat along with the recipe.

After a few weeks - basically, when I get around to it - I put the soaps in cardboard boxes from work. These are what our coffee is delivered in. They have a perforated hatch on the side. I write the ingredients as they would appeal on a soap label (in order of amount), and stick that label on the box. I tape the box top so they will stack easily, and I can use the perforated hatch to get bars in and out. I fold up the recipe and put it in there, so I can also easily get the recipe out of the box if I want to.

Shoe boxes are a good way to go. Cardboard is good b/c it breaths (and it's free!)

I put mine in cat food boxes then I put some liner to it. I don't buy some expensive storage.

Empty bureau drawers are great, too (yeah, like everybody has so many of those!) Drop a garbage bag on the bottom to keep the soap from marking it, put in the soap, and leave it open about an inch to breathe. Works perfectly.

I've been thinking about a better storage system for curing soaps myself. I used to have some stacking plastic crates that soda bottles are delived to stores in before I made soap. I think they would be perfect for the task, if I could get my hands on some for cheap.

image.jpg

Back