Straining Lye?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv2Soap

Reaction score
I plan on purchasing some lye from my local hardware store. It's Rooto brand and looks like this:

$_12.JPG

I've been watching all kinds of videos about making soaps and sometimes I see people straining the lye water before they add it to the oils. I know that the lye you by from Brambleberry and other soaping sources completely dissolve, but how about this brand?

Anyone have any experiences with this? Thanks!!!

That is what I use and I've never had to strain except when I didn't dissolve my lye crystals enough in my first milk batch. I should have strained then.

But seriously, 99% of the time that lye works great for me. Occasionally I've had some freak batches where I believe the lye has lost some potency, maybe too much exposure to air, maybe just a bad batch. But overall I think the stuff works just fine.

This is the brand that I typically use, and haven't had any problems with it. Occasionally I'll get some clumps in the dry lye, but they dissolve just fine.

When I first started making soap that's the brand of lye I always purchased at my Ace Hardware store. I now purchase online (which gives you more lye for your money. Online I can purchase 2 pounds for roughly the same price as one of those rooto).

You do not need to strain the lye unless there are clumps left (which I'm pretty sure is rare but it can still happen). I have used that brand of lye and have never had any issues from it. However, every time you use it make sure that you close it tightly.

Hi Julie!
I've been using this brand for 5 years now with no problems :)
I know I can buy lye online for a bit cheaper, but I prefer to spend my money in my own hometown whenever possible.

I'm pretty new to soapmaking and have only made 6 batches from scratch. I've used this lye every single time. I had one instance where there were some very small flakes, but I've since learned that this may have been caused from me washing my lye container out with dishsoap. From what I understand, you should just rinse the container with water and let it air dry. Also, I've abandoned the mask altogether. Even with a mask and fan on, this stuff is really rough on the lungs. I just mix it outside and point my head in the other direction. That works best for me.

You only need to strain the lye water if you put something in there(silk or some such), or you can't see that the lye is all dissolved because of milk or colored water of some sort.(teas, coffee, etc)

Latest posts

Back