Manganese Violet

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponista

Reaction score
I tried to use manganese violet to make a bright purple soap. Just a heads up to anyone else who thinks about trying it, it goes brown in cp soap and gives off horrible smelling fumes.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1425386966.838678.jpg

That's a sad result when you're expecting purple! I've bought gorgeous micas in the past, only to have them turn some dismal, unexpected color, and that's why I now try to buy only from sites that test their colors in CP soap, and it's nice when they post pics of the results, too. You can always use that pretty mica to dust on the tops of soaps. The fumes would worry me, though.

I didn't have fumes when I used it, but it went the same disappointing shade of dark muddy grey with me. I guess it's one that's best left for MP

It smelt really strongly of a sort of ammonia type smell. I'll just use it in non lye based things from now on. Oh well, you live and learn! The only saving grace was that I tested it in a small bit of batter first.

Thats too bad, its such a nice lavender color. I wonder if it would work in HP if added after the cook? I have a beautiful blue mica that morphs in CP but is usable in HP or rebatch.

Unfortunately I can't buy from any of those dixiedragon as I'm in the UK, it sucks as that would be really useful. I went back to look at the website I bought it from and it has been updated to say you can't use it in cp soap. So annoying! It definitely didn't say that when I purchased it. I might give it a go in hp after the cook though, that's s great idea obsidian.

Oh my! That's a quite a bit of a change.
I tested purple mica on the weekend and it turned out mucky pigeon grey colour. Seller listed it as stable. :/

Latest posts

Back