weird warning

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLynnbaker31

Reaction score
Saw this on a site called "Sweet Cakes"

Orange & Clove Fragrance

"A rich, spicy pairing of orange and clove, with supporting notes of tangerine, cinnamon, and vanilla. Perfect for fall and winter -- Halloween in a bottle!

SPECIAL NOTE: Clove fragrances and essential oil are pretty much off-limits to cold-process soapmakers, as the eugenol content will cause instant seizing. This fragrance has been beaten into submission, and while it will behave itself, for best results, we recommend that cold-process soapers use low temps, not skimp on the amount of water in their batch, and add the fragrance at thin trace."

I use clove and cedarwood EO in my CP soaps so I didn't really understand this. I'm actually making clove bud and orange EO CP soap tomorrow. Maybe I'm missing something. What do you guys think?
thx

Clove oil can seize a batch quicker than you can say stick blender. I have had it happen more than once. The advice to soap cold is good.

Are you sure you are using clove bud oil and not clove leaf or stem? I have not found a clove bud that doesn't at the very least greatly accelerate trace. I would be interested in knowing the brand you are using.

I soap with clove, vanilla, orange (and more) combo all the time. This pic is a combo of orange, clove and vanilla (oleoresin). Sorry its a screen shot, I can't get pics back off instagram onto my computer.

Screen Shot 2015-03-01 at 11.43.15 PM.jpg

It really didn't seem to this batch, I did the same scent combo several times and once the soap tried to volcano but I got it out side in time. But this one it soaped beautifully.

I made an orange and clove scented bar for Christmas. I was planning on swirling but it accelerated trace so quickly that I was struggling to ram it into the mould within minutes of adding the EO's.

I have no problems with clove bud EO, and/or orange EOs. But I do not swirl, I do soap hot and I add EOs to my liquid oils from the start. So, faster trace is just great for me. I really never noticed any faster speed, truthfully. But I am going to buy some vanilla, as that blend sounds wonderful!

I'm with you Susie, I'm using Clove Bud from Crafter's Choice and I'm probably going to use .5 oz per 38.5 total oil wieght, soap at about 80 degrees and mix EO into oil before. Probably won't have time for swirling.
thx

I also use these two eos without problem in cp, haven't noticed a difference with them and others. The only eo I've had a seizing problem with is Rose Geranium, which I understand is not a true eo anyway. I've had many fragrance oils wanting to seize.

I also use these two eos without problem in cp, haven't noticed a difference with them and others. The only eo I've had a seizing problem with is Rose Geranium, which I understand is not a true eo anyway. I've had many fragrance oils wanting to seize.
Pure Rose Geranium is an essential oil. The Geranium Rose carried by Soap Making Resourse is not a pure essential oil, hence the cost difference. My pure Rose Geranium EO does not accelerate

If sweet cakes is the fragrance oil company do ewhere in New York, then I would trust them. I ordered from them a long time back, and their products were above expected, and all their advise about using them was in place.

What happens is many different companies sell clove and orange oils made from different material, hence why the one from this company would cause the soap to seize, while from another company, it would work just fine...just a thought, nothing weird about the warning at all :)

I'm with you Susie, I'm using Clove Bud from Crafter's Choice and I'm probably going to use .5 oz per 38.5 total oil wieght, soap at about 80 degrees and mix EO into oil before. Probably won't have time for swirling.
thx

Please be careful with that much EO. Clove bud is a known dermal irritant and shouldn't be used in high amounts. One of the more experienced EO soapers can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the recommended amount is no more than .5% ppo.

Hey Guys I just made a batch this weekend that I used the Clove Bud EO from Crafter's Choice blended with a Blood Orange EO I had (I can't recall from which company but- it wasn't a crafters choice) It smells amazing and went well.

Please be careful with that much EO. Clove bud is a known dermal irritant and shouldn't be used in high amounts. One of the more experienced EO soapers can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the recommended amount is no more than .5% ppo.

I believe you are correct... especially super careful if you are using it in lip balm.

Back