Hot process soap problem maybe????

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbander

Reaction score
Well I didn't allow as much time in my hot process of two batches of soap, I brought it to a oatmeal trace and it only set maybe 5 minute with the heat on and I pored it but let it cool slowly, so is that a problem or is it just going to take longer before I can use it.
Since I'm here i have a question , I'm a potter so I have many different types of dry clays to add to the soap. They are usually 200 air float( very fine) What is it used in the soap for and how much to use. If someone knows something about which clay type to use I would also be interested in that.

It should be just fine.

As for your clay, we usually use kaolin or bentonite clays. You want one a clay as fine as possible.

When using clay, be sure to mix it in water first or it can crack your soap. I usually use 1 tsp ppo depending on the color I want or the use I'm going for. Also, be sure it's skin safe clay.

Good luck with your HP soap!:razz:

When using clay, be sure to mix it in water first or it can crack your soap. I usually use 1 tsp ppo depending on the color I want or the use I'm going for. Also, be sure it's skin safe clay.

Good luck with your HP soap!:razz:
Whats PPO
It better be safe my hands have been in it all day for the last 40 years.
Thanks a lot guys, anyone on the amount of clay to use.

It should be just fine.

As for your clay, we usually use kaolin or bentonite clays. You want one a clay as fine as possible.

I have 50 lb bags of both Bentonite and 50 lb bags of probably 4 different kaolins. I probably shouldn't use all of it,so the amount to use would be handy. Anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you heated it just 5 minutes and poured, you've just made warm cp rather than hp.

Both hp and cp need a long cure - both are safe to use when there is no zap, but both are best to use after 4 weeks at least

Thats what I was thinking but I do like the idea that every time I make a mistake and come here to get support , someone always says no problem, I can do this is thats the answer all the time.
I sold essential oils at the place that I sold my pottery so I had all these essential oils . Seemed like a good idea to not let them go to waste, so they have been becoming soap. Is zap the tongue thing.

Well I brought it to trace (15 minutes) and heated 5 minutes more. 20 or 25 minutes all together after I put in lye.

Last edited by a moderator:
For HP, you get it to trace and cook it until it really changes texture A LOT. Check out some videos on youtube to see what I mean. Zap is the tongue thing, but I am pretty certain that yours would be zappy so short after adding the lye in.

I have 50 lb bags of both Bentonite and 50 lb bags of probably 4 different kaolins. I probably shouldn't use all of it,so the amount to use would be handy. Anyone.

That would be 1 tsp Per Pound of Oil(PPO) used in the recipe. If you use 32 oz oils, you need 2 tsp of clay. Most additives to soap recipes are based on PPO.

For HP, you get it to trace and cook it until it really changes texture A LOT. Check out some videos on youtube to see what I mean. Zap is the tongue thing, but I am pretty certain that yours would be zappy so short after adding the lye in.

No zap but it still tingles on my hands a bit. needs some curing anyway. Thanks everyone.

Back