Out of the 80 different kinds of coconut oil, which do i use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misfities

Reaction score
Any recommendations on a brand that can be bought on Amazon? I went to sam's and they had a big tub of coconut oil organic, but i don't know if its the right thing. It was 54 oz. refined. no coconut flavor. no coconut odor. $10.99:?:

As long as it is coconut oil you can use it. Refined or unrefined, organic or regular, it doesn't matter. Some things to remember, fractionated coconut oil is a liquid - always, 76 degree ( the most common ) is solid at temperatures under 76, and there is another 90 degree or 92 or something like that, anyhow that is solid under the 90 degrees or so. Any of them can be used just be sure to pick the right one on the lye calculator you use.

I buy Louanna...and I get it at my local grocery. It's the 76 degree

I saw that same tub at Sam's recently too. The only reason I didn't buy it is because I couldn't find the melting point anywhere on the container. Their normal brand that isn't organic clearly states it's melting point is 76 degrees and it works as well as any other brand. Honestly, if it states the melting point and the price is right, I use it. :razz:

I get the 76 degree as well from soapers choice. When you start out getting it local in small quantities is a good choice, when you start to want a lot more then go to soapers choice. Even with the shipping it cut almost 10 cents per ounce off my cost. That doesn't sound like a whole lot but if you sell it can make a big difference.

I use the snappy white popcorn oil from Amazon. It's just 76 degree CO. For the amount I use, that size container makes the most sense to me.

If you check soapcalc, the 76 and 92 use the same amount of lye so I doubt it really matters which you get. That being said, most all solid coconut oil is 76 unless specifically marked as 92.

I get my coco u lit in bulk at Costco as well as olive oil and avocado. They have other oils, but I haven't used them

I get my coconut oil (and OO) from Costco too! Most of the others I just get from the grocery store, except castor oil. Castor oil I buy from online soaping supply places because I can get a lb bottle online for what it costs to get 4 fl oz at the drug store.

If you are a hobby soaper(like me), you need to do your homework on what works out cheaper for you, whether that be Sam's, or LuAnn from Walmart, or ordered online. I just find that my cost/bar almost doubles if I order my base oils online, due to shipping costs. If you make lots of soap, you may want to check out the popcorn popping coconut oil. Great price if you can use it:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A2A88ZW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Unless you specifically order 92 degree CO, you will be buying 76 degree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back