Can't find an answer anywhere...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there is any need to rebatch unless you just hate the soap. You could grate it up and use it as a decorative additive to new batches of soap or just use as is.

Rebatching very rarely makes a soap look better. If its too awful for you to look at, grate it for a confetti soap.

To answer your question, rebatching is done after the soap has gone in the mold and hardened, hot process is done after the lye is added to the oils and butters. Though they both have some similarities, HP makes a prettier soap than rebatching in my opinion.

Maybe start with the basics? No color, no scent--or at least no color, gentle scent?

Plain soap can be very attractive all by itself. Once you nail down the recipe, move on to single color soap. Then get artistic with the second colors.

I found it helpful at first to learn the basic process and how things worked (plus how much time I had). Then I expanded on to other aspects.

Wait. You threw away soap because the appearance had glycerin rivers, and you didn't like it?? I understand disappointment, trust me, but you've made 3 batches. It takes handfuls to start executing your vision with more consistency. Ask me how I know!! I was where you are. I am a perfectionist and after 3-5 batches, I was so irritated I didn't have it down consistently and perfectly. I'm still not perfect, but my soaps took a turn for the better during my 20 something batch I made.

Try pulling back a little. Spend the next 7 batches swirling one color, perfecting a base recipe. Work your way up to adding more additives and colors after you get the basics down. Not just soaping basics, but colorant prepping and working with the fo's and such. Pull back and slow down a little, and you'll be so much more satisfied with your results.

I am just speaking from experience in I was where you are last fall, and I totoally get it. Cut yourself some slack, and if you can get the soap out of the trash, do it! It will probably be the best conditioning soap you ever make lol!

In five years I have actually tossed 4 batches of soap that just could not be fixed. In fact one of my best selling soaps aside from Dragon's Blood and Plumeria is the ugliest bar of soap I make. I mean it is horrifically ugly and customers come back for it. My motto is to Never Throw away good soap ugly or not

I wasn't trying to sound harsh, and rereading it kind of gave that impression. I hate internet speak sometimes! I wanted you to know you are probably your own worst critic, and if you look at it objectively, it is probably better than you give yourself credit for. I totally understand how you felt. I was there on batch #4 and batch #6. My #4 was a salt bar. Scant lather, harsh, and about a quarter of an inch of ash. It's awful. The 6th I did bb almond fo. I tried my second peacock swirl, and though it said it accelerated, I was sure I could move faster. It thickened in the bottle and squeezed out fluffy thick frothy like soap. The purple turned grey, the yellow mustard and it blended Brown onto the blue. It was and still is ugly as mud.

You don't have to do naked soaps or anything, but try to work on one main skill each batch. It will get better, and I would hate to see you give up or get so frustrated you aren't enjoying it. I almost did, and I'm glad I worked through it and now I love it!

Donating. Call a local women's shelter, call the local food pantry and ask if they'd like homemade soaps. Label them appropriately for allergy sake. Not sure on clean the world (i think that's what I've read), but a Google search may turn up something.

There is an organization named Clean the World you could donate those to, or call your local women's shelter, homeless shelter, Salvation Army, even your local soup kitchen might be able to use it. There are LOTS of people who could use "not pretty, but good soap". Just be sure you let them cure long enough to be good quality soap.

I know you want the pretty colors and swirls. But you need to get at least one basic recipe that you know works well in your repetoire. And, unlike colored and swirled soaps, you can rebatch plain soap if you need to. Find your one recipe, try it out in 6-8 weeks to be sure you love it, THEN work on the pretty. If you just have to have the pretty stuff right now, why not try some MP to perfect your techniques while you are waiting for the CP to cure?

At the very least save a bar or 2 from every batch no matter how terrible.. It's fun to have a collection of your progress so you can see how far you've come! I love looking at my very first bars. Also, trying a soap in 6 months and realizing that it was a great recipe after a long cure makes an ugly soap wonderful. You'll never know if your soap is good or not if you throw them out before they're cured. Keep trying and suddenly you'll get one almost just how you want it to look.. Almost ;)

Or even, how about just using the soap! For all you know, all of these batches that you throw out could be great soaps for the skin, or utterly terrible for your skin. Sure, it might look rough, but soap is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more than colours and scents. If it makes you break out or dry out or in any other way makes you feel lovely, no amount of mica or EO is going to make up for it.

Use any and all chances to learn about the recipe, even if it is an ugly duckling.

This is ugly soap:

61l3x45nfOL._SL1200_.jpg

People still pay a chunka change for it. :)

I don't suppose you have a pic you can post to help us help you? Otherwise I'm not sure you learn anything unless you know exactly what went wrong.

Latest posts

Back