Spooky Spectacular Castile (and bonus Beer Soap)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlybyStardancer

Reaction score
I am absolutely floored by how this castile came out! All-natural colorants (infusions of alkanet, annatto, and madder root, plus sea clay for the fourth color). Poured at a super-thin trace, in a tilted tiger stripe pattern in a column mold. Everything kept happening a lot faster than I thought it would for a castile. Of course, I soaped while the lye water was still hot (a bit over 150F), and the lye water itself had equal weight water to the lye and citric acid in it, with added liquid SL. The rest of the water (to make a 40% "solution") was mixed with a tablespoon of milk powder and added after I hit trace, before it was split into colors.

I loosely covered it and it definitely gelled because I got a bit of alien brains on top. LOL I also swear I tried to keep the four color stripes even (two seconds at the beginning and end of the column, three seconds each in the middle), and I poured the four colors in the same order over and over. It sure doesn't look like it, though! And amazingly, it was at perfect cutting texture just 24 hours after making it!

Also, bonus pictures of the beer soap I made on Monday! :D

ETA: In the top picture, those are the colors pre-soap batter. They are in order from let to right: annatto, madder, alkanet, WSP sea clay.

001_zpsw0lsuhac.jpg

006_zpsqikekc0d.jpg

007_zps9frst3z9.jpg

008_zpsavvhqym5.jpg

009_zpsx3zuuqgq.jpg

010_zpsgsmyifu8.jpg

011_zpsvsgieakr.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that looks amazing, great tiger stripes. I must admit I really love the look of the soap columns when they are unmolded I could just look at the patterns forever.

Last edited:
beautiful soaps....I'm sensing a pringles can which is still my favorite sized mold...just curious where you purchased the pouring pitchers...

Thanks all! I was originally planning on taking a skewer to swirl them, so glad I changed my mind!

CTAnton-I love Pringles cans as molds too! Too bad I haven't gotten one to last for more than one batch, and I just can't eat enough pringles to keep up with my mold needs! lol

I have found myself addicted to column molds... And my friends haven't commented on shape one way or the other, and they're my "customers" (actually guinea pigs, lol).

Oh, sorry! I got them at Target last year, in the dollar section. I'm kicking myself that I didn't pick up a fourth (I think they only had three in that color at that location). I keep going in and looking for more, but none so far this year...

Latest posts

Back