Wood burl soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oooo, I'm so pleased with how my soap turned out! Tried a new ITP pour and it looks kind of like a leopard or wood burl or tigerish in some spots. It is rather heavy on the micas and it will be interesting to see how it dries down with cure, but it is so sparkly and shimmery when wet right now. Lathering white though! What a nice start to the weekend! Plus my Nurture order should arrive tomorrow and I got some FO's today. WOOOHOOO!

IMG_5837.jpg

IMG_5843.jpg

IMG_5842.jpg

IMG_5841.jpg

IMG_5821.jpg

The woodworker in me was eager to follow the link and I was not at all disappointed. Those are really great looking.

Mandarin Myrrh and Orange Peel. I got some better wood burl from a prior soap but it was the top where there was no weight on the soap. I had to pour this one in layers to try to prevent it weighting itself down so it isn't exact but it's not bad. Would have been better if I poured it in about 5 layers but I don't have the patience for that.
I don't know if you'll look at this again, boyago, but what sort of word working do you do? I love wood. I have a couple boards of curly maple and curly cherry out just for decoration because it's so beautiful.

Mostly a garage tinkerer with furniture and things but have also had paid jobs doing home remodeling and HW floors. Lately I've been salivating over the burly turned bowls on Youtube. I lost my shop a couple years ago which is probably why I've soaped so much so that stuff is kind of on hold till I get out of school and can afford a bigger and better place.

Beautiful soap - reminds me of the wood trim in my jeep; beautiful pictures - I love your use of the black; it really frames the other colors.

I've been trying different methods of ITP- it is remarkably variable. Much more so than I ever would imagine. What more is out there? Who knows!

Boyago, I'm sorry you lost your shop. I love love love burl bowls and burl wood and any sort of figured wood. I have a number of board feet of beautiful maple and cherry but I'm paralyzed about what to do with it because it seems a shame to waste even a sliver. That's why two of the boards are just out on display!

No, no swirling or pulling anything through at all. Just poured, but I had to pour in three layers. The first bar is cut differently from the others and so it has a different pattern. That might look like I pulled a skewer through but it's the interface of the layers. It looks kind of tweedy to me. I like that look as well but I had to commit to one direction or the other after I cut that first bar and I picked the other.

Thanks for the nice words! Now I'm stuck trying to think of what I want to make in my new mold from Nurture. Sitting here drawing a complete blank. How stupid is that?

Last edited:
You are killing me with those earthy colors newbie! Why didn't I put some browns in my shopping cart during the Nurture sale last week? Brown is my favorite color . . . what was I thinking? Love the burl on pic #2 :thumbup:

I've been trying different methods of ITP- it is remarkably variable. Much more so than I ever would imagine. What more is out there? Who knows!

Boyago, I'm sorry you lost your shop. I love love love burl bowls and burl wood and any sort of figured wood. I have a number of board feet of beautiful maple and cherry but I'm paralyzed about what to do with it because it seems a shame to waste even a sliver. That's why two of the boards are just out on display!

This is the motive behind those clocks that are just a piece of finished wood with a clock drilled into them. The clock hands are just an excuse to hand the wood on the wall.

No browns in this, Doriette! Oranges, one gold and the rest is black. I love orange- I used Copper Penny, Passion Orange and 24 Karat gold from TKB and Orange Heaven from Conservatorie. Some of the oranges are mixed and matched from those 4 colors.

I can understand the clocks, but with some woods, no clock is even needed as an excuse!

Back