Help with a Castile soap fail...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littleginger73

Reaction score
I tried my first batch of Castile soap. using the soap calc for a 1lb batch .I used the ingredients exact. 80% was olive oil and 20% was coconut oil. I used .5 oz tea tree oil.I couldn't get it to trace very much after lots of stirring and using stick mixer. But I finally just decided to pour it into the molds. The next day it hasn't set. I can stick my finger right through the soap like soft butter..Is this normal or should I call it a fail? I've heard that olive oil soaps can take quits a long time to set.. So should I wait it out or is it ruined? Thanks!

Please give your full recipe -- oils, water, lye -- in weight units. If there's a problem with your recipe, that's the only way to find out.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1422820656.746297.jpg

Wait it out, it can take awhile for soap high in OO to set up, especially if you used full water. FYI, true castile is 100% olive oil which yours isn't, I would call yours bastile instead.

Yep, with the 'full-water' amount that you used, it will take some time for it to set up. My first ever 100% Castile, which was made with a full water amount, took a week or 2 to finally set up enough to unmold and cut. It was crazy, but I came to find out that that's not unusual when using a full water amount with high % OO soaps. Try using a 33% lye solution next time (1 part lye to 2 parts water). You will find it to go a lot better/quicker for you.

IrishLass :)

If the soap batter is separating into a water layer (bottom) and an oil layer (top), you'll need to re-emulsify the batter. If you don't, the separated batter will never saponify properly.

If it's still a consistent emulsion throughout, then, yes, just wait it out. Use less water in the recipe next time per Irish Lass whenever you use a high % of liquid fats in your recipe. Liquid fats need a stronger lye solution concentration to saponify in a reasonable time.

Bravo for you! Glad to hear that soap is finally cooperating with you....

Back