Four Year Old Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorpheusPA

Reaction score
While moving the soap storage unit after the Great Mouse Invasion, I discovered an (open, untouched, un-mouseified) box of little soap samples I'd made and forgotten about.

Those soaps were four years old, and from the second or third run of batches I made when I started.

Most of you will understand this. I felt the immediate need to shower.

That was the best soap I have ever used. It aged to perfectly solid, perfect lather, perfect feel. It's heavenly. And even those tiny guest-sized rough bars look fit to last nearly forever.

Too bad there were only ten or so in the box...

That's amazing! What a great find. My oldest soap is only a year and a bit and that feels great too. I can only imagine what they would be like after 4 years! I wish I had kept more soap from my first batches.

That's an awesome find! And yes- I understand only too well the sudden need to take a shower when a secret stash of old soap is found. lol Good for you!

Such wonderful finds just go to show the importance of curing- i.e., that it's much more than just mere water-evaporation.

IrishLass :)

Such wonderful finds just go to show the importance of curing- i.e., that it's much more than just mere water-evaporation.

I'm a little slow, so it took me a while to learn this. I've already made the first cycle of Christmas soap for 2015 and I'm letting it age. At worst, most of it will age ten months.

Scent gets a bit spare, but the quality of the bars soars. Particularly the Bastille.

What was really strange was that several of these four year old bars still had easily detectable scents. That surprised me.

Back