Free from Challenges!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I am feeling so good tonight! I am free from the challenges, which I am realizing kind of possess me. I had a week or so where every soap I made was really pretty blah but I think I was still trying to do what someone else did. I have to keep relearning to figure out my own thing because trying to do what someone else does is disastrous for me. My worst soaps are always ones where I'm trying to reproduce something I've seen. So, tonight I made a soap I've been thinking about for a while and it smells really good- Vetyver and Amber- and I like the top of the pour anyhow. Keeping my fingers crossed the inside looks good too because I was a little heavy handed on the micas.

IMG_5429.jpg

IMG_5437.jpg

I can't wait to see the cut pics! I made a free from challenge soap Wednesday. Let's just say the silicone loaf mold got too hot, the soap bowed it down expanding from the super heat, and all the soaps are crooked on the bottom. Grr. Nice mold! I've never used home items, but I've been contemplating it for new sizes different than my current molds.
Feels good, don't it! Soap with no purpose (contest) other than to be happy lol!

... I was still trying to do what someone else did....

I have to keep relearning to figure out my own thing because trying to do what someone else does is disastrous for me....

My worst soaps are always ones where I'm trying to reproduce something I've seen. ...

amen to all that! exactly what usually happened to me too!

now: cuuuuuuttttttttt :p

No reds. They are all oranges. I've been working on my Nurture micas to find a red and so far red raspberry with a little poppy red in it seems best but I have to try a soap with it. I got a more orange red from my first attempt.

I am currently trying to gel this because the colors look a bit flat now that it's cold. I am hoping it doesn't get funky because of too much mica. It's a chai tea carton and it's perfect for me. Fits my standard 28 ounces of oils batch almost perfectly but you don't get straight sides out of it, but that's okay. If it gels, I can get it out of the mold by evening and see what I've got! Hopefully more happiness!

I couldn't find the post where we were talking about trying to make a red from Nurture micas so I'll post my first try at a red here. IT was made from poppy red plus red vibrance. Too orange for what I want but not a bad red at all.

Screen shot 2015-01-29 at 4.45.09 PM.jpg

Last edited:
i like it!!!!

not a bad red at all. you can kinda see the orange on the top, but mixed with the black, it looks pretty red to me. red is such a hard color to achieve perfectly on cp, i'd say you did good.

Well, Ihave had to redo this one. I ended up gelling it, which was a mistake because the overload of mica causes problems, where the mica tends to separate out and kind of precipitate. Most of the bars are strange in texture and are very dark, but I have hopes for the next batch based on these bars! They look funky in person and are very sparkly, but I see the potential. I have another one setting up and WILL NOT GEL IT. I have to keep these bars out to remind myself not to succumb.

I made this other soap and did not intend to get this, but the little squiggly wisp makes me laugh.

IMG_5440.jpg

IMG_5442.jpg

My re-do gelled in the middle but it's not too bad. It looks a lot like wood and on the top, I got a perfect burl look. Not perfect by any means but gives me ideas, anyhow.

I'm not sure which soap you mean about the wispy swirls, LionP. In the black and red soap, that was a hanger swirl. The wispy swirl coming off the top of the swirl in the pink soap is just because of the pour.

Latest posts

Back