Individual mold suggestions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozarkscents

Reaction score
I have this mold, http://www.bulkapothecary.com/silicone-rectangle-soap-mold-12-cavity.html , and like it. I've used it for a couple of different soaps and for salt bars.

Do you have individual molds you really like? I have quite a few milky way molds packed away from when I did melt and pour, but haven't gotten them out. I'm not sure if they would be suitable for CP soap.

Would love suggestions!

Terry

I use my decorative MilkyWay molds for CP quite often (for extra pour-off). Basically what I like to do is make my batches slightly larger than what my regular logs or slabs can hold, then pour off the excess into an individual MilkyWay mold. This is so that I can test how my formulas and colorants behave when un-gelled (since I like to gel the batter that's poured into my logs and slabs).

IrishLass :)

IrishLass, that's what I've been doing too! I have some elf (?) molds that I got a "grab bag" of seconds with a BB order. They're all singles, thick white plastic. I always have a few ready to pour excess into. My husband tends to like the look of those more than my loaf or slab soaps.

I've got tons of Milky Way molds that I use for MP.

Most work fine for CP, but I do find that they require a trim layer of mineral oil or some soaps don't release well (or release only after four days, time in the freezer, and so on). I use a tissue, a bit of mineral oil, and rub it well into the mold, making sure to get down into all the little patterns and crevices.

Sodium lactate and/or salt in the mix (1 tsp PPO or so) also helps. Higher levels of hard oils help as well, so Castille probably isn't optimal for most of these molds!

Latest posts

Back