Can someone convince me that FOs are safe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdmusic68

Reaction score
Hey all!

I've made bath and body products for a long time and just the past year or so have gotten into making CP soap.

I've always just used EOs because I've done a lot of research on their controversial safety and I have learned to use and dilute them properly.

I'd really like to branch out into FOs, and their wider range of scents, but so far I just can't convince myself that they are safe. Does anyone know of a supplier that lists ingredients? I'd feel better if I knew exactly what I was getting, but that seems impossible with FOs.

Anyway, if anyone has reassuring info, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

No supplier that I know of is going to list ingredients since they are trade secrets, even msds sheets do not list ingredients. I can mention that I have severe allergies that can be life threatening and synthetic fragrances very seldom bother me, on the other hand many eo's do bother me including lavender. No everything that is synthetic is bad for us. When I was younger and took vitamins I had to take synthetic vitamins not natural. In my opinion the internet has done a lot of dis-service to products with all the scare mongers.

To be honest, probably not. If you do not feel that fragrance oils are safe then it's doubtful anyone will be able to convince you otherwise, but here is my take on it.

Essential oils are unregulated drugs. You say you have done a lot of research and learned to use them safely and I applaud you for that, many are not so careful.

Fragrance oils are designed, formulated, manufactured and tested specifically for use on skin (I am referring to those approved for use in soaps and bath and body products, NOT the fragrances used for candles only). Most FOs are comprised of natural ingredients and compounds from essential oils, as well as a blend of synthetics. I personally do not feel that everything synthetic is bad but others might. They are consistent because they are controlled.

As far as I know, no fragrance supplier in the US will disclose ingredients, but I believe in the EU they are required to disclose the concentration of potential allergens in each fragrance, so you may want to browse some European suppliers and do some research there to get more info about what generally goes in to them.

Not sure whether any of that helps you, but good that you are gathering information to make an informed decision. :)

When you think about how much of a % of your recipe is an FO and then think about how much soap is used on your body during washing and then even further to how much soap is left ON your body long enough for the FO to osmosify in to your blood stream....................we are talking tiny amounts of FO

I have to agree that FO use in soap really shouldn't expose a person to harmful chemicals in the long run. I do however only use Phthalate-Free FO's and if possible, Nitro Musk free. I do plan on only using EO's in my lotion though, I use it too often to feel comfortable with synthetic scents.

There are things we do everyday that possibly expose us to harmful and toxic chemicals... Like breathe air, drink water, eat at restaurants, drive cars,wear makeup, eat food processed in factories, eat produce you purchased ... The list goes on and on. You can live your life devoted to avoiding any and all of these things which would be a full time job, (and you'd probably lose your friends) or you can do the best you can and don't sweat the rest. :)

So I'm saying, if you want bright blue soap that smells like cotton candy rainbows just do it. It's probably safer than eating French fries from Mc Donald's.

I do feel better the more I read... And I want to convince myself to use them, lol. There ate just so many brands and companies with so little information available. Are there specific companies that you guys know of that are more... Let's say, Health/environmentally conscious?

There are things we do everyday that possibly expose us to harmful and toxic chemicals... Like breathe air, drink water, eat at restaurants, drive cars,wear makeup, eat food processed in factories, eat produce you purchased ... The list goes on and on. You can live your life devoted to avoiding any and all of these things which would be a full time job, (and you'd probably lose your friends) or you can do the best you can and don't sweat the rest. :)

So I'm saying, if you want bright blue soap that smells like cotton candy rainbows just do it. It's probably safer than eating French fries from Mc Donald's.

Couldn't agree more! I have been hesitant about using FO as I like the thought of a natural soap and the healing properties of EO...... BUT..... I love coconut smelling things and other delicious scents! I had to start using them! Anyway I eat Mc Donald's so this isn't half as bad! Thanks for that!

There are people out there who say that your skin is your largest organ and talk about things going through it - one of the purposes of skin is to NOT allow badness to go through it. I've read a bit about perfumery, and one of the things that caught my eye was molecule size. What they use in fragrance oils are bits and pieces, isolates, of scents. Some of them are extracted from 'natural sources' other are created in a lab. All of those used for skin application are tested for both leave on and wash off products - and then there's those that might go on lips, so they're tested for eating, of all things! None of them are designed to permeate the skin. Molecule size is only one way this is controlled. I'm still researching, but I feel confident that, provided I stick to high quality suppliers, it's ok to want to smell like a blueberry ;)

I started out being a purist (my training being as an aromatherapist) but I do now use FOs as well as EOs and agree that the amount left on the skin in soap is negligible. However, from my understanding, most of them are derived from petrochemicals (yes, some aroma chemicals come from natural sources but the majority not). That said, I bet the car fumes we breathe every day are far more dangerous than FOs in soap!

That's a good point about molecule size, Anne. Breathing them in as perfumes is another issue of course.

I wanted to use only EO for the natural side of things and because I often have issues with scents in candles and perfumes. I have scent triggered migraines and didn't want to purchase fragrance oils that I could react badly to. After some consideration, I have decided that when there is one I really want to try, a sample size isn't that expensive, so I won't feel bad getting rid of it if I can't use it.

Acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) does not matter synthetic or natural from the tree, will kill me in about half an hour anyway. I do not believe that Fo in soaps causes problems, it is washed out and there is not enough time to absorb it. Essential oils not used properly are as dangerous as anything else. I am working with herbs (my passion) and combining them together for my use, for 35 years or so, and still one have to be careful , using them. They are natural, are not they?:shock:

I consider myself very environmentally conscious and health conscious. I prefer FO to most EOs for soap. Many of the reasons have already been enumerated, e.g. EOs as unregulated drugs, etc. Moreover, the production of EOs is often destructive to the environment (sandalwood and rosewood, I'm looking at you), and as many have pointed out in other threads, EOs are potentially dangerous to health in many cases, too. If you want to avoid phthalates, okay. I get it. Beyond that, I don't worry much.

Oh, and about the petrochemical thing: I would have to make and sell an awful lot of soap to do the environmental damage or use the amount of petroleum I use in a single car trip. Ride a bike to work and the grocer. FOs are a blip on the petroradar.

I'm so excited now to try more FO! I just got a violet fo and was wondering if anyone has used it before? Does it accelerate trace and how much I'd need? This is a great thread because now I feel confident using FO's and it's gonna cost less! Bonus!

Regarding using FOs - buy from reputable suppliers. Read reviews. Make certain you can get the MSDS sheets from them - if they don't have them, or give you some BS answers about why they make their own, run away. I have found that cheap usually means just that - cheap, not quality, questionable ingredients and company policies. I have my preferred suppliers, if anyone is interested, PM me.

I stay away from FO's because they are synthetic and I prefer natural EO's.

I stay away from FO's because they are synthetic and I prefer natural EO's.
There is a lot of syntetic things we use in life. I tried with EO but they do not survive the high temps, so it is waste of money.
I use FO for soaps and Eo for my creams and lotions only. I add them when the temp is less than 45 Celsius so they remain in lotion.

Latest posts

Back