Sodium citrate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
I ordered some to use to counter the effects of the slightly hard water in my area

It's arrived today, the bag says trisodium citrate with a CAS of 6132-04-3 which when googled is trisodium citrate dihydrate

Is this the right thing?

I haven't looked yet but am assuming I can. I went for the citrate to avoid having to increase the lye (I know it wouldn't have been hard, I just want to make it as easy as poss)

I've searched but I can't find the saponification value for citric acid anywhere. Someone wrote on another forum it was 0.571 oz lye per oz citric acid monohydrate, but I am used to using grams so am a bit confused. I think it would be the same, 0.571g lye per g CA but I'm unsure as I see imperial measurements and begin to panic!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. DeeAnna confirmed on another thread for every 10g of citric acid I would need 6g extra lye but also confirmed I can used sodium citrate instead as this is just the byproduct of lye+citric acid so no need to alter my lye number

Just wanting to confirm this sodium citrate dihydrate is the correct thing

Thanks everyone. DeeAnna confirmed on another thread for every 10g of citric acid I would need 6g extra lye but also confirmed I can used sodium citrate instead as this is just the byproduct of lye+citric acid so no need to alter my lye number

Just wanting to confirm this sodium citrate dihydrate is the correct thing

Aye, which is why my post said that IF it isn't the right stuff and you want sodium citrate, you can use the acid and more lye.................

as stated before, trisodium citrate is the right stuff, i use it in every soap.

"...saponification value for citric acid..."

It doesn't have a saponification value, so you will never find that information. The only chemicals that have sap values are the ones that make soap. Citric acid doesn't make soap.

Trisodium citrate dihydrate is what you want. This is the full technical name. The "common name" for this chemical is just sodium citrate.

If you are using sodium citrate, then NO extra lye is needed.

If you are using citric acid, then you need 6 g extra NaOH for every 10 g of citric acid. Or 6 oz extra NaOH for every 10 ounces of citric acid. However you say it, it means exactly the same proportion of lye to acid.

Yes, the precise number is different than this, but you'd need a lab quality scale to measure out the extra decimal places, so forgeddabout it. Rounding to 6 g is good enough for our kitchen chemistry.

Excellent! Thank you everyone! Glad it's the right thing, wasn't expensive either, 1kg for £1.89 plus £2.89 postage. I don't know if this is a good price or not

Another question now - do I add this to my water before I add my lye and let is dissolve before adding the lye?

Does it have any impact on trace times?

Thanks DeeAnna :)

Do you find it really makes a difference EG? I have very soft water so don't have trouble with lather and scum but my parents have hard water and I want to make something that will work better for them too.

Last edited:
Back