~*~ SMF August 2017 Challenge - Rock and Gem Soaps! ~*~
~ Last Look At July Photo Entries~

Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Recipe & Tutorials Forum > Food & Spirit Recipes > For Dorymae- laugencroissants

Old 01-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #1
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6726 Times on 3412 Posts
Likes Given: 4420

Default For Dorymae- laugencroissants

Don't get too excited yet- this is only Day 1 of my Laugebcroissant endeavor.

This evening, I made the dough and the butter block, and I put them in the refrigerator to sit overnight to rest and chill. I also made my lye solution. Tomorrow I roll!

By the way, I'm completely new to laminating pastry dough the classic way with a butter block. My usual way of making pastry dough is the 'quick' way that I learned from watching Nick Malgieri's demonstration on Martha Stewart one day about a year or so ago, when I first tried my hand at making pastries. The method works really well for me, but I wanted to try it the classic way, just because, and I'm happy to say that I did it for the very first time only last week to make butter croissants....... and boy did my arms get sore! lol

All that I had to work with was my very lightweight rolling pin, which was not a good plan to say the least. I ended up running out to my nearest Sur la Table store midway through to desperately ask for the heaviest pin they had, and I came home with a lovely, heavy, marble French-style tapered rolling pin, and boy what a nice difference that made! The thing weighs almost 4 lbs and it cut my rolling efforts in half for sure! It kinda makes for a nice cudgel, too, by the way, come too think of it. Hmmm....

Anyway, the croissants I made last week are all gone now (they turned out amazing!), and as I was perusing the interwebs for all things croissant, I stumbled upon a little blip of info in Wikepedia that mentioned laugencroissants, i.e. croissants dipped in a lye wash before baking- like laugenbretzel (lye pretzels). Well, that perked my ears up right quick and I got all excited, and now here we are!

Here is the dough recipe I am using. It's basically Jeffrey Hamelman's recipe, which I just very slightly tweaked for this batch. I used his recipe 'as is' last week, and since the resulting croissants came out so wonderfully flakey and delicious, I thought I'd use it again for the laugencroissants, but with these slight changes (brown sugar for white and 5g more of it; 5g more water and 5g more milk):

510g King Arthur brand All-Purpose Flour
147g cold water
147g cold whole milk
62g brown sugar
43g soft butter
12g active dry yeast
12g sea salt
283g cold butter for the butter block

The dough is so easy to make. I just dump everything (except the butter block) in a bowl together (no proofing or any other kind of fussing about) and mix with my Sunbeam hand mixer with the dough hook attachments for 5 or 6 minutes total. Then I quickly shape the dough (which is a fairly stiff dough, by the way) into a rectangular shape, wrap in plastic wrap and stick in my fridge on a small baking sheet to rest overnight.

The butter block is fairly easy and quick to make, too: I take my cold butter, cut it into 1/2" slices lengthwise, and configure them together into a square-ish shape on a 7 1/2" square piece of parchment that I cut out previously. Then I cover over the butter pieces with another 7 1/2" piece of parchment and commence beating it into a cohesive 7 1/2' square shape. My new cudgel, er, I mean rolling pin, works great for this part, which takes all of 5 minutes to do, if that. Then I wrap it in plastic and stick it in the fridge, too.

Well, that's it for Day 1. Stay tuned for Day 2- rolling day!

IrishLass

People Like This 
Old 01-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Dorymae

Liked 1375 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Thank you so much! I'll be following along and writing this down on my index cards!

Old 01-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4448 Times on 2974 Posts
Likes Given: 3621

Thank you for sharing, this is right up my alley. I'll be following closely.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
LBussy
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 979 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Now I'm hungry.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #5
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

My dough and butter block today, fresh from the fridge:

Rolled my dough out to 10.5" square and placed butter block on top like this:

Next, I folded up the 4 corners of my dough over my butterblock like this (I left the last corner open for the pic so you could better see how it's done. After I took the pic, I then folded over the last corner and pinched everything closed to completely encase the butter in the dough:

Once that was done, I quickly rolled out my 'envelope' of dough and butter to a length of 12" and a width of 8". And then I deviated from Jeffrey Hamelman's instructions and cut my rolled dough/butter in half like this:

Continued in next post (I'm over my limit of pics for one post)

Last edited by IrishLass; 07-12-2015 at 06:58 PM.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #6
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

and then I pinched the dough closed over the exposed butter, like so:

The reason why I did that is because Mr. Hamelman calls for the dough to be rolled out to a single 8" x 24" sheet of dough, and since my marble slab goes only as far as 20" in length, I made things easier on myself by cutting it in two. I put one half in the fridge while I rolled out the other to a length of 12" x 8", which was a quick breeze to do with my new cudgel of a pin.:

Then I folded it in 3rds, like a letter, brushing any flour off the dough to help the dough stick to itself better:

Next, I wrapped it in plastic and stuck it back in the fridge and took the other half out and did the same thing to it. When done, I placed that one in the fridge too, and let them both sit there to rest and chill (very important to keep things cold and rested), which leaves me free to do other things for a while.

That is known as turn #1. I will do 3 turns total for this dough.

Mr. Hamelman keeps puts his dough in the freezer for 20 minutes in between turns to keep things properly chilled, but I put mine in the fridge because I have other things to do in the meantime, and I don't want my dough to be a frozen brick by the time I come back for turn #2.

That's the beauty of this dough. It'll wait for you. With the batch of croissants I made last week, I left one half of my dough in the fridge for 3 days before I got back to it, and it was perfectly fine. It rolled out great, proofed great and baked up great. I don't know that I'd go too much longer than 3 or 4 days though, I should think. The poor yeast might be too exhausted by then, maybe.

See you for turn #2!

IrishLass

Last edited by IrishLass; 07-12-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Dorymae Likes This 
Old 01-29-2015, 10:42 PM   #7
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Turn 2 is complete!

See you at turn 3!

IrishLass

Edited to add, it only took me maybe 10 minutes at most to roll out both halves of my dough for this turn. There's something to be said for using a heavy rolling pin and cutting the dough in half, for sure! My arms are thanking me.

Last edited by IrishLass; 07-12-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Dorymae Likes This 
Old 01-29-2015, 11:45 PM   #8
Dorymae

Liked 1375 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLass View Post
Turn 2 is complete!

See you at turn 3!

IrishLass

Edited to add, it only took me maybe 10 minutes at most to roll out both halves of my dough for this turn. There's something to be said for using a heavy rolling pin and cutting the dough in half, for sure! My arms are thanking me.
This part is very familiar, I make about 2-3 large batches a year. The wonderful thing is once you do all 4 turns you can freeze it for later. It is a lot of work but so worth it when the pastry is done you will have over 400 buttery layers!

Beautiful pictures btw, it is going to be so good!

Last edited by IrishLass; 07-12-2015 at 07:01 PM.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:01 AM   #9
PinkCupcake

Liked 356 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 268

From a professional pastry chef, great job! You could teach a pastry class. I'm really impressed with your neat rolling and clean edges. That's not easy to do!
Dorymae Likes This 
Old 01-30-2015, 02:51 AM   #10
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Turn 3!

My buddy Dave wanted in the picture, so that's him standing next to turn 3.

Thank you so much Dory and PinkCupcake! That's high praise coming from the both of you. I'm a rank amateur/rookie at pastry, but I make a lot of other kinds of bread for my family, so I didn't feel too much like a fish out of water (well, at least not for the most part anyway). lol

About the straight sides and neat rolling- that heavy marble rolling pin that I bought needs to stand up and take a bow. It did most of the work for me! lol That thing is like magic! And all those croissant-making videos I obsessively watched on YouTube came in handy, too.

I was only going to do 3 turns, but do you think I should do a 4th?

IrishLass

Last edited by IrishLass; 07-12-2015 at 07:02 PM.