Butters

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillybella

Reaction score
I just made an emulsified sugar scrub! WOW! It's wonderful on my skin! I never knew these could be so wonderful!

I used shea butter and cocoa butter as the butters in it. All I can smell is the cocoa butter & I'm not a big fan of the cocoa butter smell!

What butters don't have a scent? Are there any?

Yes! You can use deodorized cocoa butter- it doesn't smell. Neither does refined shea, refined mango butter, and refined kokum butter. I have all 4 and none of them has any discernible smell to my nose at all.

I have illipe butter, too, but that one has a faint smell. It reminds me of the paste we used to use in grade school- the kind that we used to eat when the teacher wasn't looking (because it tasted so good!). lol

IrishLass :)

Thank you, IrishLass :p

I did use the refined Shea; so anything with refined doesn't smell?

Look for "deodorized". Sometimes those have a faint scent if you really sniff at them, but it's totally obscured once in a product.

Thought I'd share my absolute favorite sugar scrub. I wish I could say I came up with this one, but the props are totally due to Sarah Milroy at Spicey Pinecone. It's hands-down nicer than anything I've tried at any fancy-smancy spa... I've been using it to shave (working it to a lotion in the shower)... just amazing!

I do switch out the soy wax for beeswax and the Optiphen Plus for Phenonip since that's what I keep on hand.

30 oz (or more) of Granulated Sugar
9.5 oz. Sweet Almond Oil
3 oz. Coconut Oil
2 oz. Soft & Silky Emulsifying Wax
2 oz. Fragrance Oil
1.65 oz. Avocado Oil
1.5 oz. Stearic Acid
1.35 oz. Pumpkin Seed Oil
1 oz. Soy Wax (I sub out beeswax)
12.5 grams Optiphen Plus (I use phenonip instead)

Thanks Snappy :p
Why do you use 1 oz. Soy Wax (I sub out beeswax)?
Oh I see. You didn't use any butters.

Here's the one I used:

36 Ounces White Sugar
9.6 Ounces Apricot Kernel Oil
8.2 Ounces Grape Seed Oil
3.2 Ounces Emulsifying Wax
3.2 Ounces Stearic Acid
3.2 Ounces Shea Butter - Ultra Refined
3.2 Ounces Cocoa Butter - Natural <-------------------------- :thumbdown:
16 mls Fragrance Oil
10 mls Vitamin E Natural T-50
14 mls Phenonip
4-5 mls Mica

Last edited:
I just don't have soy wax. I've got a bunch of beeswax though. :)

I'll have to try yours out! I don't have any Apricot Kernel, but I think Sweet Almond would be a good sub for it. Thanks!!

I just watched the video - very good! Thank you.

Almond Oil would be fine. I'm allergic to almonds & grapes; so I stay away from Almond Oil & grape seed oil! Oops! I used grape seed oil in this :crazy:

What a day!

What would adding IPM to this do? Make it even better?

The Cocoa Butter smell seems to have faded quite a bit this morning. When the hot water from the shower hits it, will I smell it again?

I have all this sugar scrub now that I love but hate the smell :lol:

Well I just used my sugar scrub in the shower. I love chocolate but the smell of the cocoa butter was sickening & I still had sugar on me when I finished! I had to get back in the shower & use my whipped soap to get everything off!

My skin feels wonderful, tho!

I'm going to throw this out!

Don't throw it out! Can you add a scent that will blend well with the chocolate? Something like peppermint or coffee?

My refined mango butter has a fairly strong smell. Every supplier can have different levels of scent, even in the deodorized versions. I buy my cocoa butter from voyageur because its the stinkiest cocoa butter i have found (stinky in a good way!). Brambleberry's cocoa butter has half as much smell, and its not deodorized.

Mango butter is an astringent, so test it with a small batch first to make sure it doesn't irritate your skin. Its too bad its astringent, because I find mango butter is the softest and absorbs the best and is the least greasy of all the butters. Unfortunately it irritates my skin (its possible I might also be allergic to it).

My refined (but not deodorized) shea has a scent, tho not as strong as my mango butter. I have deodorized cocoa butter as well and that still has a tiny amount of scent, but not much.

Yes! You can use deodorized cocoa butter- it doesn't smell. Neither does refined shea, refined mango butter, and refined kokum butter. I have all 4 and none of them has any discernible smell to my nose at all.

I have illipe butter, too, but that one has a faint smell. It reminds me of the paste we used to use in grade school- the kind that we used to eat when the teacher wasn't looking (because it tasted so good!). lol

IrishLass :)

Don't throw it out! Can you add a scent that will blend well with the chocolate? Something like peppermint or coffee?

even if you don't want it, give it to someone! its a shame to throw anything out.

i second the peppermint suggestion. or coconut! both of those scents compliment chocolate so it might mask the chocolate quite well.

:sad: too late! It's gone & I'm still smelling it!

I just finished the recipe Snappy directed me too. I tweaked the oils a bit & I added IPM.
I only made a 10 ounce batch. I based the IPM on 10 ounces. Is that right or should I have re-done the whole recipe?

:sad: too late! It's gone & I'm still smelling it!

I just finished the recipe Snappy directed me too. I tweaked the oils a bit & I added IPM.
I only made a 10 ounce batch. I based the IPM on 10 ounces. Is that right or should I have re-done the whole recipe?

I haven't worked with IPM before (just got some recently to fiddle with for a lotion). I think I remember reading somewhere (probably swiftmonkey) that adding IPM to a formulation normally requires a slight increase in the emulsifier.

Did you use IPM at 1%? I'm interested in how that works out!

Hi Snappy, Thank you so much for directing me to that recipe. I'm going to try whipping it tomorrow. I really like the feel of it already.
I used IPM at 5%.

I didn't up the emulsifier. I will try to look that up on Swift Monkey!

Last edited:
I have nothing worthwhile to add, but I'm going to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand the scent of cocoa butter.

I have nothing worthwhile to add, but I'm going to say that I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stand the scent of cocoa butter.

Nothing worthwhile here either, except my first cocoa butter was divine smelling, and smell of my most recent purchase make me feel sick to my stomach!

Back