Bread in soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jade-15

Reaction score
The other day I was in a shop and they had a new soap out, with a sort of jelly-like consistency. So I got a sample, used it, liked it and checked out the ingredients...

Water, Wholemeal bread, Oils, Lye...

Has anyone ever heard of this or done this? I'm not looking to re-create it, I'm just curious.
Do you think it was a re-batch with bread added then, or cold process? I'm imagining the bread would have been soaked in the water first... but I would think CP would just be disastrous... The bread is the only thing I can see to explain the consistency of the soap as well.

Well that's why I'm so curious! I wouldn't want to make it myself either. This looks like jelly-like soap though and not something that would go mouldy... Hmmmm

While it sounds funny, if you really think about it, we soapers have used just about everything to make a cake with..all we add is lye to make it soap :lol:

Eggs, oils, {including butter, Im betting someone has done it} sugar, salt, baking soda, fruits, milk.....so bread could be the 'flour'..including yeast

Hm, what are we missing now...baking powder maybe?

??

Now my thoughts are running away with me..wonder what kind of soap we could make if we really did include all ingredients at once and just add lye water??

A REAL cake soap?? LOL :lol:

I was wondering about Deeannas comments about gluten... 'if i just add flour... would that work?'
So now that I've thought about it more I've decided it can't be a re-batch... it would just go mouldy.
So either
1. Bread soaked in water, lye added to that
2. Bread soaked in water, added at trace
3. Bread soaked in oils before lye solution added.

I figure the bread must be soaked in a liquid and then blitzed with a stickblender to get it into the solution nicely?

Now... who wants to experiment for me... hehe

Irish Lass posted a recipe for making lye-dipped pretzels -- it's the lye bath that gives pretzels their distinctive flavor. Obviously to change the taste, the lye has to be reacting with something in the dough. I don't have a clue whether plain flour would give the same results. It might work great, but I haven't tried it to know.

The old soap making manuals I like to read do talk about using potato flour as a filler in soap to help bind the soap together and also to lower the cost (because potatoes are cheap, also a soap filled with potato flour can contain a higher % of water). They warned the lye will cause the potato flour to become gelatinous, again indicating the lye reacts with the starches. So it might be best to add any starchy additive either to the water or oils before adding lye or ... perhaps better ... to the soap batter at emulsion.

If you wanted to add bread to a soap batch, I'd make sure the bread was in fine particles, so the particles won't be as likely to grow nasties. I think any of the methods you list, Jade, would work. Maybe start by making fine bread crumbs like you would for a food recipe?

I've seen recipes list tapioca flour and rice flour, but I always thought that was to retain the fragrance oil or EO.

Latest posts

Back