My first cupcake soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayBird

Reaction score
This is my first cupcake soap. The bottoms are scented with raspberry cream cupcake from Natures Garden. The tops are 100 percent coconut in CP stirred until I could get a piping consistency. I was dinking around too much to get them all piped before it got too hard, otherwise I think I could have done all 12.

image.jpg

Yum! They look awesome. As a new soaper myself, my question is, if your frosting gets too hard to pipe anymore, is there anything you can do to soften it again? If not do you just scrape what you can out of the bag and smoosh them into a little mold?

Hi, Cactuslilly. I think it could be rebatched to make it soft again, but that seems like too much of a pain. In the long run, I want to come up with a recipe/technique that will allow me enough time to frost a couple dozen cupcakes. It may not be a 100% coconut recipe, but I was going for white-white frosting without having to add TD, so gave it a shot. I wasted a LOT of time messing around, so it might be worth revisiting. I love the way coconut behaves.

I think using the whipped soap technique would be a great way to go, but I'm not sure if I want to give up my mixer to the soap gods quite yet. LOL.

Thanks for all your nice comments, guys!

Oh, and just in case you want to try this frosting,here are a few more details:

Room temp soaping
19% SF
30% water
Mixed it with a stick blender until very light trace, then stirred every minute or so with a rubber spatula until it was piping consistency. I stirred with the rubber spatula for 10 or 15 minutes.

More water may have helped. Perhaps chilling the lye water? I don't know.

I wasn't as brave as you. I went the whipped soap way my courage is at an all time low right now.
I'll learn from you and the others for awhile they are beautiful though. Thanks for the frosting guide though. Will file away for later. We're the crosshatches done so they'd adhere?

Yes, the crosshairs are for that reason. I had planned to do it all at one time with one batch, but when I was stirring the original batter, it wasn't coming
To piping consistency before I had to leave the house.

Jay, I pipe soap for tops and cupcakes and the like. Try using a recipe high in solid fats but not so high in coconut. (Coconut heats up too quickly) I use tallow usually but it works just as well with lard. The trick is to soap cold. Make sure both your lye and oils are room temp or just below. Once you add the lye, do not stick blend. First stir it all together, then use a hand mixer. It will become pipeable fairly fast, but you will have about 1 hour to work with it before it is too stiff to pipe. Within 24 hours it will be hard.

Hope that helps some.

Thank you Dorymae. I for one will remember that tip. Almost all of my soaps are stiffening too fast. Maybe I should forgoe SB and see what happens. Maybe I'll have time to try swirling et al if I do that. Does hand blending affect the smooth quality of the soap?

Hi, Dorymae. I tried your technique, and it's awesome. I could have waited a bit longer to pipe, because the tops turned out with a bit of a melty look, but in general, this was a GREAT way to make the "frosting."

THANK YOU!!

No problem, I had the hardest time finding how to do it. Most of the recipes I saw on the net were either sugar or they were melt and pour, neither of them I liked.

I wish I could credit the person who blogged it but it was so long ago I've forgotten who it was. Anyway, I didn't figure out the technique myself, but I have used it ever since I learned it.

Cactus: the technique will stay soft a long time but will not be thin. It will be like piping frosting or whip cream, I'm not sure how well it would swirl. Incidentally, this is how you make whipped soap bars as well. After whipping it if you mold it into bars and cure it, the bars float. The hand beating incorporates tiny amounts of air (not enough to see or make holes) which causes the lightness of the bar. (Think of old ivory soap!)

Last edited:
I make cupcakes too. Mine will set up fairly quick depending on the fragrance oil. I make mine in batches of 6 also and I use 25 ounces for 6 cupcakes. I pour my bottom part and when the batter looks like thick pudding I go ahead and pour the other part into the piping bag and let it sit until it's thick enough to pipe. It seems like it's different each time but I use the same oils in my recipe so it's really dependent on color and fragrance I think. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1422767762.729399.jpg
Here is the last one I made in Pink Chiffon and it turned out well. I made a cranberry balsam for Christmas and it was a disaster...part of it set up like concrete and the other part was runny...lol. needless to say the rest of the FO went to making plain bars.

Those cupcakes are soooooo great looking, srblatt17! I love the piping and the sprinkles.

Back