"Roasted oils" Qs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyago

Reaction score
So I have been playing with blams and may try doing some lotions soon. I haven't ordered any oils from an actual cosmetic/soap supplier but have run into hazel, walnut and macadamia nut oils at he grocer but they all say they are roasted. Are these still good for soaping/lotions after they are "roasted"?
I half expect that heat is applied in the oil extraction process and that they may be calling this the "roast" for label appeal??

I half expect that heat is applied in the oil extraction process and that they may be calling this the "roast" for label appeal??

The nuts have been roasted before oil is extracted, instead of the nuts being raw. I wouldn't use it for balms or lotions personally. The scent would be much nuttier and the oils more costly.

Are these still good for soaping/lotions after they are "roasted"?

I have used Asian Roasted Sesame oil for soaping, left my soaps smell like Taiwanese Sesame Oil Chicken Soup... It taste great, but you don't want to smell like you just fell in the pot cooking that soup after shower.I didn't throw it out, just gotta be quick in the shower. Smell dissipate after shower. Sesame oil in soap is quite conditioning though.

So of course your best shot is get the cosmetic grade deodorized cold press oil. You can try your luck anyway. Maybe nut oil is NOT as HEAVY ROASTED as Asian roasted sesame oil. And I guess roasted is for label appeal & gourmet taste.

Just my humble opinion. :D

Latest posts

Back