Lard Versus Tallow Shortening

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am doing some test soap of 100% tallow shortening and 100% lard soapies. These I am making with no additives and water only with a 3% superfat. I have been wondering how lard versus tallow will feel. If anyone is interested in a sample either pm me or send an email to [email protected]. These are just my little flowers I pour for samples. I am also wondering if either will come down with dos, and how the lather compares

Where do you find 100% tallow shortening? It would be interesting to see how it compares to tallow I've rendered.

Where do you find 100% tallow shortening? It would be interesting to see how it compares to tallow I've rendered.

Ditto to this..never come across 100% tallow shortening, do tell Carolyn plzzzzz :)

Dang! Wish we had one of those here too *sniffles*

Looks like Im going to have to go on a hunting spree to find something like it lol

Thankies for the info Carolyn!

Interesting, the tallow shortening ones I poured around 3:00pm already set- up very solid, no zap, but formed so much ash it rolled off when I rubbed my finger over them. These did not gel and are pure white. The lard ones I poured right after posting at 3:30 are still not set. They were made at same temp but a little less water, both were at extremely light trace when poured.

I love lard soap! In fact I've just used my first 75% bar this morning - gorgeous.

I keep meaning to ask my local butcher if they charge for fat cuttings so I can render my own lard and tallow to see what the difference is.

Wow. That is very interesting.

I have considered the tallow at Smart & Final, but I would have to purchase the 50 lb block. They don't sell it any smaller at mine. I don't know if I am ready to make that kind of commitment.

Same. I really want to try the tallow shortening that they sell but soaping is just a hobby of mine so 50 lbs is A Lot. I wish they sold in smaller amounts also. So I just settle in using the Walmart GV animal shortening, it's not 100% tallow but it will do for now.

Update, it will be another 2 weeks before I send out the samples. I am running a couple of other test soapies that I will include and I need to recheck the lard samples I made. Not sure if I noted wrong on my notes or not. I gelled one batch of soapie samples and one ungelled and if my notes are correct it does not compute in my brain. One is a definate yellow which I labeled ungelled and one is pure white which I labeled gelled. I am guessing I mixed up the notes, :confused: blaming it on one of those senior moments. :oops: Since I am not sure I have enough lard from the same batch of lard to re-run. I have not forgotten to send them out. Anyone else wanting some samples let me know by pm. Will also be including one with a fragrance I had duped because I could not longer buy it, and some plain from the same batch made with the rendered tallow I aquired last week. Also a 100% veggie will be included. Might as well compare all :razz:

Just a quick update. Think you might be surprised with these soap samples. I know everyone must have thought I have forgotten but alas I have not. The non-gelled lard soap samples with 3% superfat are total orange (dos?) but no off smell. The gelled are now starting to turn these were made on 1/242015. I will be packaging all seperate with notes included. All the soapies were made the same with either 100% tallow, distilled water and citric acid at 1% for chelating, extra lye at 0.624. I am really beginning to wonder about lard. This was rendered lard from a local Hispanic market. The tallow samples are holding up great

Thats really odd. I've made 100% lard that ended up stored in the closet for nearly a year and it stayed white the whole time. I do use store bought lard though, not fresh rendered.

How's the smell? ;) As in, do they smell like they are made from animal fat?
I was thinking of switching from lard to tallow (commercial so not 100% pure).
I make facial bars from lard, but while they are gentle and lovely, DOS is starting to drive me nuts.
I have batch made around the New Years, 0% SF, HP as they wouldn't set as CP and they are developing DOS grrr.

Curious, for those of you getting DOS from lard, what is your humidity? Its really low here, in the winter the house is 0 and the summer it is around 20.

Thats really odd. I've made 100% lard that ended up stored in the closet for nearly a year and it stayed white the whole time. I do use store bought lard though, not fresh rendered.
I am wondering if light makes a difference. I have a few that have not discolored so I am going to put them away in a dark drawer and see what happens.
I can say I notice a huge difference between the lather and feel of tallow and lard. Lard gets the A for both lather and feel. I am pretty amazed at the difference.
Finally got all the samples packaged and labeled. Will box them tonight

Back