Different use for Madder root

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
My hair started out blond this morning.

1zwz3p0.jpg

Hope it lasts at least a few weeks. I really want to use henna but its so permanent, if this fades slowly it will be such a better option for me. Its a bit darker in person and really shiny.

I mixed it with water and a little conditioner until it was thick like cake batter then had someone carefully apply it with a hair color brush. When it was all in, I wrapped it with cling wrap then a towel to hold in the heat. Left it in for 1.5 hours.
I was a messy, gloppy process. I had orange streaks down my back from drips. I found out after that madder needs a mordant to make the color stick. I took a shower and it looks like much has washed out. I'm going to get more and try again.

I assume you are originally blond? (Duh, sorry you said you were blond this morning) It makes a great color- more a natural orange/red color than about anything I've seen and definitely a more natural color than henna. I have to go look up what mordant is now.

I see urine can be used as one for dyes. THat brings up some interesting images of coloring your hair again.

Last edited:
OMG newbie you're killing me with the mordant visuals! If I tried it I would opt for plain old table salt as a mordant and hope for the best. Wonder if it would work on mousy brown hair?

Its way too early for me to come up with a proper respond to using urine but I can say I won't be peeing in my hair any time soon:lol: I was thinking about using alum but if salt works, then I'll go with that.
I didn't wash out as much as I though, its still a nice red just not quite as coppery. I was thinking about adding a touch of alkenet next time so its not quite so orange. I am curious if shampoo bars would alter the color since madder is sensitive to PH. I wouldn't want my whole head turning pink.

Great natural looking colour. My mum's a natural redhead with exactly that colour!

I am really curious if alum will work as a mordant, and what the proportion will be. I have auburn hair that starts to look a bit dull this time of year.

I was thinking about trying alum, it seems to work well when dying wool. I've washed my hair three times and after the initial slight fading, the color is staying the same. My natural roots faded the most but is still very coppery and natural.

I did find out that high PH will turn it pink if left on for a few minutes but its slowly turning back to copper. I did a test strand with a liquid with PH of 10, left it on for about 10 minutes, it went fairly bright pink. Also did a test strand with CP shampoo bar and left it on for 2 minutes, no noticeable color change. I've been using store bought shampoo but I'm going back to CP bars now that I feel its safe.

I bet you could do a gloss like they do with henna to brighten your natural auburn. You mix the madder with conditioner instead of water. I was thinking about doing that, maybe it would make it easier to apply.

Gah, I haven't dyed any wool in ages, but I might have some alum left yet.

I might try if first without the mordant to see if I like the color.

It faded some but not much but I ended up removing it with color oops and going back to my natural blond. I really love red hair but root upkeep is just too time consuming.

Understandable. I have silver and purple hair right now but my roots are coming in but it's a pain to bleach them and put more silver and purple back in.

Back