Is Heat & Hold Necessary For Lotion?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
I've spent an inordinate amount of time on the swiftcraftmonkey blog, and was under the impression that Heat and hold was kind of a non-negotiable necessity when making lotion. Just poked around the WSP website, and they don't seem to do that in their from-scratch lotion recipes. Can someone educate me here?

The only lotion I've had mold, were batched that I didn't heat and hold. I'd rather take the extra time to do what I can to help prevent spoilage.

Yeah, that's what I was guessing, but wanted to double check. As I mentioned in another post, I've recently learned how unreliable the WSP site is, but thought I'd double check. Would have been nice to find out it's an unnecessary precaution.

I know it's already been said but yes, it is absolutely necessary. <------ necessary enough for me to take the time to look up *thanks google!* how to spell necessary.

Please excuse me. Spelling has never been a strength of mine.

Excuse you for bad spelling? I really did try three times, then finally googled it. I cannot spell. I wasn't making fun of anyone except myself.

I do use the "Heat & Hold," but what about the FO added at cooldown? Can that contaminate the lotion?

yes. i heat and hold. i cleaned and sprayed with alcohol each utensil, but still who knows what's still there.

about the FO/EO, i think that's when preservative comes into play. if you heat and hold, at least the FO went into a clean environment (less job for the preservative). please cmiiw.

Seven, I think you are probably correct. I asked on another forum about the condensation on newly made and poured lotion. How could the condensation contaminate the preserved product. Isn't this the same thing as FO/EO?

Seven, I think you are probably correct. I asked on another forum about the condensation on newly made and poured lotion. How could the condensation contaminate the preserved product. Isn't this the same thing as FO/EO?

The problem with condensation is that the preservative doesn't migrate with the condensed water so it now carries mold and bacteria cells. I've seen this happen and it's not pretty. My best advice is to leave the bottle open until it is fully cooled before putting your lids on.

Lindy is correct, to prevent condensation do not apply closures to the containers until the mixture reaches room temp. I cover my containers with paper towels until I am sure the lotion has reached room temp.

I use two seperate pots with water bath for heat and hold, oil is easier to control, it keeps steady the temps but water is another story:) No lotion went bad so far. Some is like 2 years old:)

when I am done with lotion , I leave it on my table in the beaker, covered with paper towel so no dust goes there. More or less 14 hours then I put it in the container to the fridge but no closing it. For another few hours. It solves the problem with condensation.
BTW I wonder what you guys think about my spelling :( English is my second language ............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back