Advice on recipe for friend with HIV-related eczema

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snappyllama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just found out a dear friend was diagnosed with HIV a couple of weeks ago. He is experiencing extreme eczema after starting treatment. His dermatologist has him on steroid creams which are helping, but I'd like to make him a super gentle soap. Dermatologist didn't tell him anything to avoid as far as soap goes...

I was thinking of a high lard with olive, avocado and mango butter with goat milk and colloidal oatmeal. I'm hesitant to use any coconut. I would want it gentle and luxurious feeling.

He loves patchouli - do you think it would be okay to use that EO for someone with eczema? Any recommendations on a beneficial blender that would still let the patch play lead? Any recommendations on the best EO supplier for it?

I really want to make him something special. He's a very good guy that has been through a lot lately. It took a couple of friends telling him that he wasn't looking like himself to convince him to take the time from helping everyone else to make a doctor's appointment. One of them was an elderly neighbor that he was taking to visit her husband's grave. He's that kind of guy.

Sorry if I'm rambling...

snappy, that is very thoughtful of you. i agree with the no coconut, i think your current combo sounds about right if you are aiming for a gentle and moisturizing soap. shea is also an option to consider. i would prefer an unscented soap for problem skin, but that's just me. i've not personally used patchouli EO, but all my EOs from NDA are very satisfactory and reasonably priced.

I would leave out the mango butter if it was me. Mango can be astringent. Avocado, lard and olive would make a very nice gentle soap. Patchouli should be fine. You might even consider some neem or hemp oil, in the soap. Fragrance Laboratory has a wonderful dark patch for $49.00 per lb. I just ordered another 2 lbs from her. PM me your address and I will send you a tube of the solid lotion I make for cancer patients. As long as he is not allergic to nuts since it is made with argan

I am wondering if a mild bar containing aloe would be of help.

Lsg, great idea!

My son has eczema, and he seems to respond really well to my oatmeal soap. Of course, he's 6 years old, so the real challenge is just getting him in the tub most of the time!

Aw bless you snappyllama - you are a good friend.

Your soap sounds good as is, though I agree maybe no mango, or perhaps add shea or hemp, just anything gentle and pure with a low cleansing and high conditioning. You may also want to set him up with some home-made laundry soap if you have any - make his clothes gentle on the skin. Perhaps a gentle whipped body butter as well?

He loves patchouli - do you think it would be okay to use that EO for someone with eczema? Any recommendations on a beneficial blender that would still let the patch play lead? Any recommendations on the best EO supplier for it?

I have not ventured into soap making yet, still researching. However, I have been making lotion for my husband's eczema for 8 years and use carrot seed EO. It's stinky but it has some nice skin benefits.

I would use 10-15% CO, Lard 45-55%, Castor Oil 5%, and the remainder OO. I would not use any EOs or colorants for the first bar. Once his eczema is under control, then try him with the Patch or Patch blend. But get the eczema under control first. Be sure he stops using dryer sheets and such until the eczema goes away, then add them back. Free and clear detergent also is mandatory until it is better.

If that eczema is indeed strictly medication related, it will be better by the time the soap cures. Which will be good for him. You can still make him soap for a gift, though!

http://www.aidsmap.com/Skin-problems/page/1044774/

Last edited:
As a nurse, I want to chime in. My past was taking care of patients with cancer, and at the time many HIV patients were put on our floor. The exzema that a patient with HIV has is a bit different. I won't bore with details, but beyond lanolin and aloe Vera I'd be really careful about and EO or FO. it care make it worse and burn.i can look into this further for you with my husband who's a doc.
What an awesome friend you are! The world needs more people like you. Seawolfe had great suggestions as well. Key will be to patch test everything for a few days before using all over. Oatmeal would probably be good too. In the bath as well as soap.

my grandchild and my son both eczemic respond the best to low CO like 10% high olive and avocado and the rest lard and tallow. I found that my allergic skin loves tallow, lard soaps

my grandchild and my son both eczemic respond the best to low CO like 10% high olive and avocado and the rest lard and tallow. I found that my allergic skin loves tallow, lard soaps

Totally agree with Dahila. My dad has eczema and has been able to use my lard/tallow soaps with no problem. I haven't been diagnosed with it but after lots of trial and error determined I have a sensitivity to coconut oil. It makes my legs red, angry and itchy!

Most of my recipes use a lard/tallow combo with either PKO or babassu for cleansing properties and up to 10% castor to boost lather. The rest is either olive, avocado or rice bran oil. I would also recommend going unscented for the first batch and adding goat milk, colloidal oatmeal and/or aloe juice.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and kind offers!

I think I'll make a bunch of small batches and find out which one works the best for him before trying out the EO on him.

That's a great price on the patch from Fragrance lab. They even have it in smaller sizes so we can try it out to make sure he can tolerate it.

I'll definitely whip him up some body butter. I haven't made laundry soap before, and I don't think he does his own - but I'll harass (er, lovingly remind) him that he needs to make sure that they at least double rinse and do not use softeners. We live in different states so I'll have to mother-hen him from afar.

Back