Dishwasher Soap Experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided to try using my homemade 100% CO liquid soap paste in my dishwasher. Most of the online recipes for homemade dishwasher soap use borax, washing soda, and sometimes citric acid. I wanted actual soap to be used(so the dishes would actually be clean).

To test this, I cooked cheese grits in 2 pots, and baked chicken casseroles with cheese and salsa in 2 casserole dishes. My family added a pan that had been used to fry hamburgers in, and a pot and bowl that oatmeal had been cooked in. I divided the dishes into 2 mostly equal batches. One batch I used no soap whatsoever on. One batch I used my homemade soap mixture(see below) on, after letting it sit out an additional hour and a half.

I mixed 4 oz each of !00% CO paste, borax, and washing soda. I thought I might need to add salt, but the bubbles were not that bad. I then divided the paste/borax/washing soda into 1/2 oz globs.

The first batch of dishes(no soap) was not clean. Lots of starchy/cheesy/tomatoey crud left. I left those in the dishwasher and added my soap mixture, 1/2 oz in the pre-wash chamber, 1/2 oz in the part with the door.

The only problem I had was that the glob of soap stuck to the door of part that holds the soap for the last part of the wash. Other than that, all of the dishes came out perfectly clean. And I did not have suds all over the kitchen.

What I think needs improvement:

Looser paste- this was very difficult to mix the borax and washing soda into. Not to mention the whole sticking to the door issue.

I am going to try making more liquid soap paste with more water on the front end(batch water). Hopefully this will yield a little looser paste. If that does not work, I am going to use SL after cooking to loosen it up. *EDIT* Do not add more batch water. I am having trouble getting this to paste stage!

OK, apparently all I needed to do was walk away in frustration and type, LOL. I now have paste. I used an extra 3 oz water to this batch. It was apparently not enough to affect the thickness as I have thick paste. But I would not add more as I thought I was going to have to add more KOH and CO. I am going to try some sodium lactate as soon as this gels.(Cold process, so no cooking.)

Last edited:
Sounds like the liquid soap gremlins are having fun with you today, Susie! :)

I think that you might find, over time, that unless you have very soft water and your dishwasher uses extra hot, hot water that soap will not work well and may lead to build up on dishes, inside the dishwasher and in the pipes. There is a reason that Borax, citric acid. baking soda and Sodium Percarbonate are used along with other ingredients. For the most part, these products do not lead to over-sudsing or buildup. I have come up with a formula for a granular dishwasher product that I make when I run out of Cascade Complete. It is not cost effective, however. I only make it when I am out of the other. On the other hand you could come up with a formula that works great for you. Good luck with your experiments.:)

Great experiment Susie! I can't wait for the next chapter in the story.....

PS - How did the dishes look spot wise? I always have to use Lemi Shine to eliminate dingy, spotty glasses. If I could eliminate that extra expense, I'd be a very happy dishwasher!

Update

I ended up using 2.5 parts soap paste to 1 part borax and 1 part washing soda. The SL at 2% worked a charm to soften that soap up enough I could squidge it together with my fingers. I crammed the resulting aggregate into a log mold, intending to cut it later.

I am fortunate enough to have very soft water. The water heater is set at 140F. The temperature of the water in the wash cycle was 160F.(I look for any excuse to use my laser thermometer, LOL.)All of the videos I have ever watched on making your own dishwasher stuff say to add citric acid if you have hard water. I don't, so I thought I might be able to get away without using it. I may have to add it later if I see crud building up, and I do have some I can use. I only made a 12 oz batch of this mixture, so I can re-evaluate as I go. I have plenty paste left to do trial and error on.

My glasses were crystal clear. I never use the heat dry cycle or any products to remove spots. No problem whatsoever.

I will let y'all know any findings as I go.

Last edited:
I think that you might find, over time, that unless you have very soft water and your dishwasher uses extra hot, hot water that soap will not work well and may lead to build up on dishes, inside the dishwasher and in the pipes. There is a reason that Borax, citric acid. baking soda and Sodium Percarbonate are used along with other ingredients. For the most part, these products do not lead to over-sudsing or buildup. I have come up with a formula for a granular dishwasher product that I make when I run out of Cascade Complete. It is not cost effective, however. I only make it when I am out of the other. On the other hand you could come up with a formula that works great for you. Good luck with your experiments.:)

lsg, it sounds like you know quite a bit about how soap affects plumbing. What do you think about homemade soap(50/50 co, lard), borax and washing soda used in clothes washing machine...long term? It sounds like you're saying soft water will usually not lead to build up from soap? My laundry soap has a sf of .5%.

I know that homemade laundry soap does not work well in our hard water. The clothes do not get as clean and the homemade soap does not rinse out as well as commercial products. I have tried several versions, some using my homemade 100% coconut cp soap, some using a bar with lard and even some using Fels Naptha along with Borax and washing soda. I know something about clogs and drain pipes. DH has had to snake out the drain from our kitchen several times over the years. This was not from grease, but from a solid buildup in the pipe. The drain clogged up especially bad when I tried to use the so-called eco friendly brands of automatic dish detergent. A repair man told me that since phosphates have been greatly reduced in automatic dish detergents, they don't clean as well and don't rinse off as well. He told me that Cascade Complete was the best brand to use. I have used it ever since with good results. As I said in a previous post, I do have a formula that I make when out of Cascade Complete. It works, but it costs more than buying Cascade. I am not a chemist, but I do know that the minerals in hard water cause a build up in plumbing, fixtures and hot water heaters.

Here are some sources for more info. on the topic:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/water-softener-hurt-plumbing-system-96097.html

http://www.cleaninginstitute.org/cl...anges_in_automatic_dishwasher_detergents.aspx

"Question:
What is the advantages of using a synthetic detergent in place of soap in harder water?

Replies:
The main advantage is that it will actually work.

In hard water, soaps exchange their cations for the hard water cations, and the resulting complex is insoluble, precipitating from the water. That means that it will not work to lower the water's surface tension or incorporate dirt into micelles, because the soap no longer has a hydrophilic head.

Most synthetic detergents do not have this drawback: their calcium and magnesium complexes are still hydrophilic. "

Source:http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem07/chem07280.htm

Thank you for your input; I appreciate it. I haven't been extremely happy using homemade laundry soap, but have quite a bit to use up since it shouldn't be an issue with soft water.

Update-not good news

First trial with mix of soap paste, borax, washing soda 2.5:1:1. White residue left on all dishes.

Going to try adding borax and washing soda to the dishwasher to bring it to a 1:1:1 ratio. If that does not work, I give up.

I made a dish washing bar today full 100 percent coconut and superfat of 1 percent and water discount of 38. I love this soap very cleansing and bubbly. I am currently using bar of soap to wash my dishes because I don't have a dishwasher. I used my laundry bar before but unfortunately it's not very bubbly. I really wanted to make a liquid dish washing but I am still a newbie, I'm afraid to try the potassium hydroxide yet. This is not a good looking ImageUploadedBySoap Making1421457978.219616.jpg

First trial with mix of soap paste, borax, washing soda 2.5:1:1. White residue left on all dishes.

Going to try adding borax and washing soda to the dishwasher to bring it to a 1:1:1 ratio. If that does not work, I give up.

How did it go? My neighbor was asking me about DW soap this evening. While I make my own laundry soap (which I LOVE), I have not branched out to DW soap or dish washing soap. Was thinking 100% CO soap... Sounds like maybe for hand washing dishes but not DW??? :shock:

Add citric acid. Really, I add it to commercial DW detergent that leaves a film and it eliminates it.

I have found very little information about dishwasher soap, no one seems to have had much success and I have trawled the web for hours looking. I will be really interested if you succeed in finding a recipe that works. Did you use rinse aid in the dishwasher?

You should give potassium hydroxide a try biarine, there are lots of threads on liquid soap on here to help.

Oh, I thought I did an update, sorry about that! Utter fail on second try. I added citric acid, and still have a white residue. I have reverted to using commercial stuff because there is just something in my mind that says you need real soap to clean dishes, so the borax/washing soda/citric acid just does not seem like the answer for me. I will keep researching, though. I have not given up.

I had found a recipe on the internet that seems to work well for me. I have been using this for several months, and it does clean the dishes without leaving a residue.

The recipe is:
3 cups of distilled water
1 and 1/4 cup of washing soda
3 tablespoons of castile soap
essential oil

I heat the water in a glass measuring cup in the microwave to almost boiling; add the washing soda and the soap (I use whatever homemade unscented liquid soap that I have on hand); stir until everything is dissolved. You have to keep coming back to stir ever 30 minutes or so, until it cools down. I then place in a bottle with a dispensing cap; you will have to shake this every time you use it.
-What I have found is that when you add the essential oil to the mixture, it tends to form crystals in the bottle. I have been leaving the essential oil out and if I do want to add the oil, I add several drops into the dispenser along with the mixture.
- As I said, I found this on the internet and it is not my recipe but it works for me. If anyone tries this, I hope it works for you!!

Latest posts

Back