OK another one - Black Pepper EO or FO?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrown

Reaction score
I am looking for that nose-tingly spicy smell that black pepper is known for. Are there any EO's or FO's out there that will do the trick without it costing an arm and a leg?

BB has one but it's too expensive. I did try one called Molton Brown Black Pepper but that just smells like clean man...not that I'm complaining. :thumbup:

I tried a cheap Black Pepper once, and found out why it was so cheap. It's an expensive item to distill. But the good news is, a little of the good EO's go a long way.

I'm with JustBeachy on this one, if you want the true fragrance its best to invest in the EO. I have some super pricey oils, but I add as little as 1/4 teaspoon to a pound of oils and still get the smell coming through. Also a lot of oils can be skin irritants in large amounts so using just a bit can give you the kick you want without wasting a tiny $20 bottle of something special.

As a side note, I find the pricier oils do better in HP and MP just because they don't interact with lye (not a problem with MP!) and the soap is cool enough to avoid oils evaporating out (if you gel or cpop your soaps). HTH!

Back