Is yogurt HP soap possible?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeysuds

Reaction score
I recently made a yogurt cp soap, which was quite an interesting experience. It went from light trace to "Hurry & get it in the mold!!!" faster than...well almost faster than I could actually get it in the mold :Kitten Love:

Anyhoo, after 10 years of CP, I am finding myself drawn to HP and have done several batches already but none with fresh dairy. I've watched videos, done research, and while I've seen goat milk and coconut milk hp soaps, I haven't seen anything with yogurt.

Soooo, has anyone successfully used yogurt in HP or is perhaps fairly confident it should work out the same? Or would the cooking do something crazy to the yogurt and ruin the soap? I really don't want to waste supplies! TIA :razz:

When I used coconut milk the heat caramelised the sugars so my soap was a tan colour. I think the same would happen with yoghurt, but if you don't mind brownish soap then I don't think you would have a problem.

I don't mind brownish soaps, I don't sell but I do gift to friends and family. I was planning to add carrot puree though, and brown + orange is going to equal some funky baby poo color :lolno: Guess I better rethink my soapy plans for this one, either plain HP yogurt or carrot yogurt CP. Hmmmm :problem:

Yes, I have made lots of HP soap with yogurt. I use enough water to make a 50 lye solution and let it cool, and use enough yogurt to make it a 28% lye solution. I hope that makes sense. I freeze the yogurt to a slushy stage, then stick blend it into the oils before the lye water is added. Just FYI with any milk products in hp, the soap will completely separate during the cook. this is normal, just stick blend it back together and finish the cook.

Yes, I have made lots of HP soap with yogurt. I use enough water to make a 50 lye solution and let it cool, and use enough yogurt to make it a 28% lye solution. I hope that makes sense. I freeze the yogurt to a slushy stage, then stick blend it into the oils before the lye water is added. Just FYI with any milk products in hp, the soap will completely separate during the cook. this is normal, just stick blend it back together and finish the cook.

My way is very similar to your, I discount the yogurt from the total amount, is this what you meant by the lye solution numbers? I am just trying to understand it:smile:

Well I decided to do a coconut milk HP today, using 1/2 water, 1/2 milk. I did something a little different from my normal process, I cooked the soap until it was halfway gelled, about 20 minutes, turned the crock off, added cold coconut milk and mixed it in. The residual heat was enough to complete the cooking process without caramelizing so the batter actually stayed pretty white rather than tan or brown.

I figure I'll try the yogurt soap using this approach and see how it goes. Thanks for the responses, and the note about batter separating with milk HP, its nice to have that heads up and not think something is going wrong.

Last edited:
Please let us know how the yoghurt HP soap turns out as I do all my CP soaps with yoghurt and was thinking of trying HP this way too.

Back