Canning Goat Milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerMom

Reaction score
Has anyone used home canned goat milk in their soap? as opposed to store bought? Aside from an assumed small amount of discoloring, did you have any problems?
TIA

That's what I've used since the store by me only stocks low-fat fresh milk. I didn't have any issues and love the way the soap turned out.

Whoops... I didn't read the home-canned part. Nope, I haven't used that. Just the store bought cans.

Last edited:
I freeze mine instead, because for me it is easier, also the milk is considered low acid, so you would need to use a Pressure Canner. If you already can low acid food, and meats then you are good to go! I don't own one, and just make marmalade and jam using a boiling water bath.

canning milk

I freeze mine but I'm running out of freezer space, hence the question on canning.

Edit! Sorry, didn't read home canned. I would think it's fine so long as you can properly.. which I'm sure you know how to do since you're asking :) yes, pressure canned would be needed like olive oil said. if interested and for others, my post was about concentrate... which I suppose you could do yourself. Concentrate works great for me. Good luck with it all!

I use canned concentrate. Refrigerate half my water amount as concentrate, dissolve lye in the half water amount of water. I pour lye water into melted oils, I stick blend about three short pulses, and dump the GM concentrate. I keep an ice bath on hand. I sb, and it turns a little yellow. If I smell the ammonia stink, I put the soap bowl into an ice bath to calm it down.
I freeze GM soaps a day, refrigerate another 8-12 hours. They are creamy off white light beige, very light. I use a little td and they're nice and white.

Best thing. Don't have to worry about dissolving lye in frozen GM and accidentally leaving behind lye that didn't dissolve, and no straining needed. Being canned concentrate, you technically mix half GM with half water when drinking to make it regular strength GM...so half GM concentrate plus half water in soap equals full GM soap! It works great for me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back