Cocoa powder?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armyjung2079

Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere that you could use cocoa powder from the grocery store as a colorant, is that true? And if so could you use it to make a swirl like an in the pot swirl?

Yes, it's true, you can. There's lots of threads on the forum that discuss using chocolate as a soap colorant, and someone just posted a pic in the Gallery section of their honey soap with chocolate pencil lines.

Being the chocoholic that I am, I'd much rather eat my chocolate than let it go to waste in soap, but that's just me. :mrgreen:

IrishLass :)

Yes, it's true, you can. There's lots of threads on the forum that discuss using chocolate as a soap colorant, and someone just posted a pic in the Gallery section of their honey soap with chocolate pencil lines.

Being the chocoholic that I am, I'd much rather eat my chocolate than let it go to waste in soap, but that's just me. :mrgreen:

IrishLass :)

That's a fine point you make there Irish. And as chief investigator for the ACIU, (Abuse of Chocolate Investigation Unit), I'm proud of you for helping the cause. Remember, Chocolate is it's own food group. Treat it as such. :)

I don't swirl, but I would assume you would use half the amount in half the soap batter then swirl just like you would with a colored soap of any sort.

I add my cocoa powder at thin trace and use only a whisk to avoid thickening the batter. It goes in really easily. I usually push the cocoa through a sieve first to make sure there are no lumps. You can stick blend it if you need to, but if it's at trace and you want to swirl, keep it to a minimum.

Regarding ideas of swirling with cocoa powder I tried Anne Marie Faiola's (soap queen), method of an in the pot swirl from her book (but used my own recipe).

I took one cup of batter out when I got to to emulsion/very thin trace and added titanium dioxide to it. Next I added cocoa powder and a fragrance oil that discolours to brown to the rest of the batter. I then did an in the pot swirl, pouring the white batter into the brown batter. Good luck with your swirl, can't wait to see how it turns out!

I posted pics of my soaps in another thread. One has cocoa pencil lines and another has cocoa as one of the colors in a hanger swirl. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=477560&postcount=29

edit: I don't use titanium dioxide (TD), but I think adding a bit to the cocoa colored batter would give a more opaque, maybe a smoother look to the brown. Definitely optional, however.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1420069143.062321.jpg
Here is my first swirl ever. It's cocoa and activated charcoal. Next time I think I'll add titanium. I'd like the white a little whiter. I used 1 tsp of cocoa powder mixed with a bit of water then a bit of oil. Poured off 3 ladlefuls of soap at a very thin trace and mixed in the cocoa mixture. Seemed to work well.

Latest posts

Back