Currently making Aleppo Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smeetree

Reaction score
I'm doing a 6x6x2 mold, hoping to get 9 bars. This is about 31oz of oils since I added a little height (~1/4") figuring I'd cut the tops off (since I am hot processing them and don't want the rustic tops). My ratio is 60% olive, 40% laurel.

So far everything is going well. Just waiting for the lye to cool a bit. The laurel oil and oil look like a nice color in the crock pot, and the scent of the laurel is incredible.

The only issue I may have is the lye/water ratio. I used the default of 38%. I meant to reduce that since olive oil doesn't need that type of solution, but I forgot. It shouldn't matter other than a longer cure time, I think?

Next batch I make I'll try a better ratio. What would you guys say is the ideal concentration for olive/laurel lye solution?

Last edited:
Since you are doing HP, I would leave the water at the default level. It will help keep the batter more fluid. Since it needs a longer cure anyways, the excess water won't really make a difference.

Since you are doing HP, I would leave the water at the default level. It will help keep the batter more fluid. Since it needs a longer cure anyways, the excess water won't really make a difference.

Okay cool.

I'm not sure why this thread duplicated, but the mod can delete the other one.

I will post photos in a few days. Obsidian, I know you asked for a photo of the laurel oil. I will try to get that, too. It is a nice, dark army green, though. When stirred, poured, or otherwise agitated it browns a bit.

Last edited:
It's strange, the soap looks done (vaseline texture) but the temperature is only 150. Is this normal? I thought I read it should reach 200 and my first batch of hp did that.

Here's the finished product and color so people can see.

I left ~.15" on top so I can plane the rough top off and make it smooth. I'm not sure about adding a trademark stamp (at what point would you do that?)

I'll post an update when it finishes in a day or two when I cut it into squares.

aleppo.jpg

aleppo2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good. You could probably stick that in the freezer to harden it up faster so you could cut it. I do that at times with castile types.

Honestly, I never check temps when doing HP. I just watch it to reach the right consistency then mold it up. I wouldn't worry that is saponified fast.
Adding the stamp is up to you. It does make the soap look nice but technically, its not true aleppo soap. I've not stamped HP so I don't know when to do it. Maybe after 2-3 days so it can harden up some.

Good point, although the cut soap tops can be smooshed up into whatever shape to make a good tester-type bar.

That's what I did. The cut tops were so soft I just hand molded them into a ball.

I cut two different bars. 2x2x2 cubs and 3x2x1 bars. I left the tops on the bars but not the cubes. Just thought they looked good with the rustic top.

Here's some photos of the finished soap. I'll update it as they age.

aleppo.jpg

aleppo2.jpg

Aleppo- amazing pictures

The pictures of the aleppo soap look amazing! About 6 months ago, I purchased Laurel Oil to make aleppo soap-it was a very hefty price and I have been hesitant to make it. Considering the cost of the oil and the curing time, I'm not really sure what to set the sell price at. More importantly, my fear of ruining the soap and losing the $$$ spent on the oil would bring me to tears.

All the best,
Cynthia

The pictures of the aleppo soap look amazing! About 6 months ago, I purchased Laurel Oil to make aleppo soap-it was a very hefty price and I have been hesitant to make it. Considering the cost of the oil and the curing time, I'm not really sure what to set the sell price at. More importantly, my fear of ruining the soap and losing the $$$ spent on the oil would bring me to tears.

All the best,
Cynthia

Thanks for the compliment, Cynthia.

You just have to go for it. I was nervous, too, but trust yourself.

Have you been making soap for a while? If not make some batches to get confidence. If you have questions pm me.

Hi guys, I think it's safe not to use Aleppo Soap as a name for your soaps because the soap is not the actual Aleppo soap, it's not made in Aleppo with ingredients that are not from Aleppo either, second you don't need to wait until some one sues you for using the name. It will really take time until one can master making Aleppo soap with the same super professional quality they used to make it over there. You need to age it enough and try it on your body for enough time(one week or two is not enough) to know the quality of what you are selling. The customer who is looking for Aleppo Soap to buy is some one who knows exactly what he / she is looking for. I would recommend 2 years for the soap maker who is new to making Aleppo soap as enough (experiment ) time before starting selling it. I also recommend buying the actual soap and using it for several months. You guys are trying to produce a top quality soap that has been there for centuries, so you need to be really careful.
I hope this will not offend any body, I felt it's important to mention it.

Hi guys, I think it's safe not to use Aleppo Soap as a name for your soaps because the soap is not the actual Aleppo soap, it's not made in Aleppo with ingredients that are not from Aleppo either, second you don't need to wait until some one sues you for using the name. It will really take time until one can master making Aleppo soap with the same super professional quality they used to make it over there. You need to age it enough and try it on your body for enough time(one week or two is not enough) to know the quality of what you are selling. The customer who is looking for Aleppo Soap to buy is some one who knows exactly what he / she is looking for. I would recommend 2 years for the soap maker who is new to making Aleppo soap as enough (experiment ) time before starting selling it. I also recommend buying the actual soap and using it for several months. You guys are trying to produce a top quality soap that has been there for centuries, so you need to be really careful.
I hope this will not offend any body, I felt it's important to mention it.

I don't have any intention to sell this soap. I want to use it.

Regarding whether it is Aleppo soap, that is such a pointless argument. If I but some rennet and milk and make Mozzarella cheese, is it different cheese because I make it in California instead of Italy? What if I make Monterey Jack? It's from California, but a different area than where I live, so it's not authentic? What if we extend this idea of geography to something like music. If I'm in America but play a Japanese scale it's not authentic Japanese music? Seems very arbitrary and pointless.

Ps. Not offended at all, I just don't see how geography matters. By that logic nobody other than me can make authentic "SmeeTree" soap because they don't have my exact tap water, exact lye, etc etc. But I am pretty sure people can make my soaps. One thing impossible for home soapmakers is the boil method like they do in Aleppo. If that makes it Aleppo soap then yes, home soapmakers cannot make it. But if someone in America has those means of production and can boil it, sure they can make it.

Last edited:
I don't have any intention to sell this soap. I want to use it.

Regarding whether it is Aleppo soap, that is such a pointless argument. If I but some rennet and milk and make Mozzarella cheese, is it different cheese because I make it in California instead of Italy? What if I make Monterey Jack? It's from California, but a different area than where I live, so it's not authentic?...............

I'm afraid that can indeed be the case. Champagne, for example, is a protected name - you make sparkling white wine anywhere else and you can call it a number of things, but not Champagne. Stilton blue cheese is another example - only a handful of places in the UK can call their blue cheese Stilton.

..................... One thing impossible for home soapmakers is the boil method like they do in Aleppo. If that makes it Aleppo soap then yes, home soapmakers cannot make it. .................

A very good point - if that is part of what makes the soap how it is, then not doing it would mean you are making a soap LIKE Aleppo. As salting out affects the superfat and so on, I think it would have an impact on the end result.

What makes you think you can't boil and salt out where you are? I think many people in the US of A do it.

...............But if someone in America has those means of production and can boil it, sure they can make it.

Again, if it is a protected name, they can still only make an Aleppo-style soap.

IF it is a protected name in that regard. We know that a Castile soap can be called that regardless of where it is made, as long as it is 100% olive oil. Maybe Aleppo is the same, IF it is produced in the same way as it should be.

What makes you think you can't boil and salt out where you are? I think many people in the US of A do it.

I haven't read up much on it to be honest, but I thought I saw that it required more heavy duty equipment. But if not, then sure, we can make it here. If someone did that I would call it Aleppo.

When researching this soap, I saw manufacturers in the 20th century began making a cold process version with herbs and essential oils and still call it Aleppo. We even see soaping101 do this on youtube.

I don't think this is a protected name.

But let's assume it is. I made something ~95% similar to Aleppo soap best I could with my equipment and ingredients. I'm fine with that. I'm fine with calling it Aleppo since I'm not selling it. I guess if someone is selling their soap they need to care about this, but I'm glad I don't. :razz: I'm happy with it whatever we want to call it.

Back