Max superfatting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhawk85

Reaction score
What's the highest superfatting you've ever used ? I did a soap experiment with 100% lard soap superfatting 40%.

I went to 20% in a basic OO/palm/coconut bar. I didn't really like it, left my skin feeling a bit odd. It lathered well enough and wasn't overly soft but I won't do it again. My standard SF is 8% for my dry skin. Of course I use 20% SF for my salt bars but thats a whole different animal.

I just cut it this morning. It was strange. Had glycerin rivers on top and separating the layers. Its kinda soft and firm and in a few days I expect it to be pretty hard

Im excited . My favorite so far was 100% lard with 10% superfatting. . I usually do between 5-7% but I love experimenting

I have gone up to 15% as an experiment to see if I could go higher on coconut with a higher superfat. Our skin is sensitive to coconut and/or pk in higher amounts, I can't go higher than 10% total in a recipe. It was a no go...we still got itchy. Anyway, my default is 7%, but I'm thinking I might have up it a bit to ward off "winter skin" My salt bars are the only exception...20%.

I generally superfat 7-9% with 20-22% CO. The only time I go higher is with my Salt bars and 100% CO bars and those are at 20% sf.

I would imagine anything really high in a regular recipe wouldn't feel good on the skin at all.

I generally superfat 7-9% with 20-22% CO. The only time I go higher is with my Salt bars and 100% CO bars and those are at 20% sf.

I would imagine anything really high in a regular recipe wouldn't feel good on the skin at all.

I'm in this camp as well. And love those 100% CO / 20% SF bars!

I love 20% for CO and up to 40% for Salt bars. (An experiment that actually turned out great!)

Latest posts

Back