My Oils aren't in Soap Calculators

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smeetree

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have relied solely on soap calculators to this point.

But I purchased 2 new oils that they don't list. Laurel Bay (I want to try Aleppo) and Amla/gooseberry.

Do you know of any calculators that have these? If not, can someone point me to a good way to manually calculate lye for these oils? Thank you

I may be wrong so maybe someone could confirm but I think "Luarel fruit" is on soapcalc and what you are looking for. As far as doing it from scratch there are instructions online via google search that look not super hard if you are comfortable with and have access to some lab equipment. I would think that your supplier may also be able to provide the information or at least get it. I know the guy from Atra gardens is pretty quick to respond via email.

I may be wrong so maybe someone could confirm but I think "Luarel fruit" is on soapcalc and what you are looking for. As far as doing it from scratch there are instructions online via google search that look not super hard if you are comfortable with and have access to some lab equipment. I would think that your supplier may also be able to provide the information or at least get it. I know the guy from Atra gardens is pretty quick to respond via email.

Thanks, buddy. I do hope the laurel fruit is the same as laurel bay, as I see that one on soap calcs. Can anyone confirm that?

Last edited:
Too many people confuse Laurel Bay essential oil with the Laurel (fruit) oil used in Aleppo. SoapCalc probably lists it that way so no one will try putting 25% EO in the soap.

Too many people confuse Laurel Bay essential oil with the Laurel (fruit) oil used in Aleppo. SoapCalc probably lists it that way so no one will try putting 25% EO in the soap.

Okay, maybe I should write the author of soapcal and ask if he/she means Laurel Bay by listing Laurel fruit. What I have is definitely the fatty oil. It was so expensive that I need to make sure I get this right. I didn't realize Aleppo is a hot process soap, either, until now. I've never tried hot process so this will be interesting....

There are different variations on it of varying degrees of "traditional" search the forum and discover the controversy if you have some time to spend. I think the super traditional versions are a boiled soap and some people think you should use site specific sea salts to be more "true". It can be like taking the whole Castile back and forth to the next level.

btw I think somebody here made a batch last year.

Last edited:
There are different variations on it of varying degrees of "traditional" search the forum and discover the controversy if you have some time to spend. I think the super traditional versions are a boiled soap and some people think you should use site specific sea salts to be more "true". It can be like taking the whole Castile back and forth to the next level.

btw I think somebody here made a batch last year.

That's a near perfect statement. In my opinion.

Thanks, guys. I don't want to get into discussions like that, but rather just know how much lye to use since it's an oil I never worked with. If the author of soapcal writes me back I'll post the findings if laurel fruit is the same as the bay laurel fatty oil.

My plan is to make it HP and like a 30% laurel/70% olive ratio. We'll see how it goes. I'm pretty nervous and might take a few weeks just to plan this out. Most nervous about the HP process since I have never tried it.

Thanks, guys. I don't want to get into discussions like that, but rather just know how much lye to use since it's an oil I never worked with. If the author of soapcal writes me back I'll post the findings if laurel fruit is the same as the bay laurel fatty oil.

My plan is to make it HP and like a 30% laurel/70% olive ratio. We'll see how it goes. I'm pretty nervous and might take a few weeks just to plan this out. Most nervous about the HP process since I have never tried it.

sorry, but it is part of the discussion.. but in the event we hijacked your thread, sorry. Here's info you might find more agreeable.

http://www.remedyspot.com/content/topic/1940282-thoughts-about-the-sap-value-of-laurel-berry-oil/.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=41503

And yes the values on soap calc are the values of the laurel berry oil. the bay laurel essential oil doesn't have a sap value. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Okay, maybe I should write the author of soapcal and ask if he/she means Laurel Bay by listing Laurel fruit. What I have is definitely the fatty oil. It was so expensive that I need to make sure I get this right. I didn't realize Aleppo is a hot process soap, either, until now. I've never tried hot process so this will be interesting....

Hello,

I don't think you need to write to the author of Soapcalc. I have made Aleppo-style soap several times and used what Soapcalc calls Laurel Fruit Oil. It worked fine. I also did CP on those occasions and that was also fine. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Nicole

Back