Help! What's going on here? Gel?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya-m

Reaction score
Just made my 2nd batch of CP after my first one had to become HP.

The recipe is:

55% lard
25% olive oil
20% coconut oil

0.5% frankincense FO (didn't use much after the hassle with orange & cinnamon)

I prepared my lye water then put the oils on to melt. I combined when the oils had cooled to around 110 degrees F. Used a stick blender until it reached light trace - though I think it was maybe more like medium by the time I poured. I'd added the FO to the oils to try and avoid the issues I had last time.

It's now covered in a blanket but have just had a peek and this is what I found! Is this normal? What is going on with the fluid on top?? Is it lye? Oil? FO?

Help, do I need to dispose/rebatch?

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1417128595.883667.jpg

I think it is getting too hot, take the blanket off and allow it to cool a little, the liquid on the surface may reabsorb back into the soap.

It's gel. It could just be condensation on top. Otherwise, you'll have to check. Does it look oily? If it's oil, it will reabsorb more than likely.
It looks like it's going to overheat if you leave it covered. I would uncover it.
Is it kind of raised up in the middle? Was it like that when you poured?

I've uncovered it. It isn't raised up, I think it's just the way the pic has taken. Do I just leave it now and see if the liquid on top absorbs again?

I was gonna try and gel a soap in the future but hadn't planned on it for my 2nd batch!

Here it is now, left it uncovered

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1417129933.795024.jpg

Also is it right that it seems more fluid now than when I poured?

Man, that's some serious gel phase. I'd uncover it as well and see if it settles down. What is the white, is that ash forming?

I think it's just the way the flash has picked up where the liquid is pooling on top. Hope this hasn't gone wrong too

Yes that's fine, at gel phase the soap batter gets so hot it literally turns into gel so it is much more fluid than it was originally. I think you caught it from overheating just in time. A badly overheated batch can separate very badly with a huge oily layer on the surface and never reabsorb. As you only have a small amount it should go back into the soap. Certain fragrance oils tend to cause overheating so it may have been that which caused your soap to get so hot.

Don't worry, I have had all sorts of failures. Seizing, overheating, colour failures, scent failures. You name it I've had it happen. I still love soaping though, things going wrong is just a learning process and I'm sure this batch will be ok now. It's lucky you posted and asked for help in time!

Even though it's not going to plan so far, I am really enjoying learning all of this!!

There's a lot to learn. At least you used a lot of cheap lard. Maybe make a smaller batch next time and don't add scent. You can use it as a basic hand soap and just work on nailing the process.

This was also a colour fail! I used beetroot powder cos I wanted red. Well imagine my surprise when it instantly turned yellow!

Thanks susie, I think you posted this recipe on my other post (though you had castor oil in too and mine hasn't arrived yet).

That is beautiful gel phase, something I encourage with all my batches. Gel starts at the center of a batch, and works it's way out. We generally like soap to gel all the way to the edges, not for any reason other than then it will be of a uniform color. If not, there can be a "bulls eye" effect. When soap gels, it goes through the saponification process faster than if it does not. I CPOP my soaps, and I peek occasionally, and when I see that it's gelled all the way, I take it out of the oven. I like the instant gratification of being able to unmold my soap the morning after I make it. If it gels, I can do that, if not, it can take days before the soap releases cleanly from the mold. You have a very nice gel phase there, you should have some lovely soap.

Thanks for the reassurance

So this is it this morning, solid again, the liquid that was on top seems to have reabsorbed on the whole but there is still a layer on top that looks shiny where it was. How do I check what it is?

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1417159063.702865.jpg

You need to zap test to see what it is. I would guess it is oil residue that should reabsorb, but that is just a guess.

I add castor oil to all my batches. I am just a bubble junkie, so ignore me. That should be a good recipe without it. (However, your local pharmacy should have castor oil if you live in the US.)

Gorgeous cake BTW!

I think that you are doing well for a newbie. That soap looks perfectly fine to me. Don't give up. You did not make a perfect cake on the first try, right? You made cakes that were not quite what you expected, and you learned with experience, right? Same thing here. Trial and error sometimes, sometimes you learn from other's errors. You just learn a little from each batch. Practice, practice, practice.

Thanks Susie. I want to give the castor oil a try for the extra bubbles.

When should I zap test it? Now in a few days?

You're right, my cakes weren't perfect to begin with so I will keep at this till I master it.

Latest posts

Back