micas vs oxides

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ann Marie

Reaction score
Hi!

I am about to buy colorants for my cp soap. Which do you prefer and why: micas or oxide?

Thanks!

I like both. Oxides I like in more natural colors like white, black, brown, green and blues. Micas I use for more vivid colors like gold, emerald, burgundy etc... My favorite uses for micas are pencil lines and top swirls.

I have had more issues with Micas morphing into other colors than oxides, but I just started with oxides. I like the shimmer of mica though, so I'll keep trying. :)

I love micas for bright, vibrant colors. Be sure and check to make sure they won't turn an icky grey color, as a lot of green micas do - or morph into an unwanted color. Most sellers will provide guidelines, some even photos.

I love clays when I want natural colors.

I use oxides too, and ultramarines. These I find can tend to clump a bit, so if I'm using them I mix in a bit of glycerin. Mostly I'm lazy though, so prefer micas and clays.

I love micas for bright, vibrant colors. Be sure and check to make sure they won't turn an icky grey color, as a lot of green micas do - or morph into an unwanted color. Most sellers will provide guidelines, some even photos.

I love clays when I want natural colors.

I use oxides too, and ultramarines. These I find can tend to clump a bit, so if I'm using them I mix in a bit of glycerin. Mostly I'm lazy though, so prefer micas and clays.

Hm...Does glycerin work better for emulsifying oxides than oil?

Just to throw another option into the mix, I was looking at a local supplier's site and considering plant-based colorants...alkanet root, annatto seed powder etc. Any thoughts, opinions or advice on these potions?

Cheers,
SK

Just to throw another option into the mix, I was looking at a local supplier's site and considering plant-based colorants...alkanet root, annatto seed powder etc. Any thoughts, opinions or advice on these potions?

Cheers,
SK

They are great. I've been playing with several lately too. Their colors tend to be more muted than mineral-based or synthetic colorants, and many fade over time. But all-in-all, I'd say they are a good addition to your arsenal. Lots of good info online about using organic colorants.

Cheers,
SK

I would do a site search for 'natural color' or 'plant color' as there will be a lot of threads to read! I purposefully spelt colour wrong because otherwise you won't see too many results......

Latest posts

Back