Testing mica for CP soap use

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Hey, all -- I inherited some micas from a B&B business that went under. I have no idea if they are suitable for CP soap, but I'd sure like to check this out.

I realize I can just try some in soap batter and see what happens, but that seems kind of inefficient. I have gotten the impression that the colorant on the mica doesn't play well with lye -- the interaction with other ingredients in the soap is not so much of a problem.

Does it seem reasonable to mix samples of the micas with a small amount of lye solution to see if the colors morph or fade? Or am I really barking up the wrong tree with this idea.

Just gathering info before I don my mad scientist guise! Bwaaahahahaha.... :crazy:

mad_scientist.jpg

If the micas or pigments have names and company of where they are from I would research and see if they are compatible with high Ph.

I've inherited samples from another soap maker that didn't have any information. I did a 1lb batch and poured it into dixie cups then added the color and mixed it in with a tiny whisk and let it set in the cup. I wrote notes on each so that I would know which ones worked on CP. I did the same with M&P just to know how they worked out. I mostly do CP but it was worth while knowing how they all reacted.

I'm not sure if adding the colors to lye water would come out with the same results.

DeeAnna, still very much the newb, but I think you are being very tough on your poor micas exposing them to a straight lye solution. Even if your colors stayed "true", I would think that they could still change in your soap - for example if your recipe included a high component of pomace olive oil, you would still have the green from the oil to contend with. If I may ask, why do you not want to make a small batch of your favorite recipe and make small samples in a brownie bite mold? You would have color "reference soaps" for future projects or at the worst a nice basket of multi-color soap for your guest bathroom.

I think there is a soaping 101 YouTube video on doing exactly that. As far as i remember it basically works. I can link if you are interested and can't find it.

I wonder if you would miss a possible complete cycle of a morph. Some colors will go a completely different color when they hit the batter but as the soap saponifies and the pH changes, the colors come back. I'm sure you would miss that part just putting them in lye. Not tons do that, but some do.

Selfishly, I vote for the muffin method with labels and photos that we could all enjoy. :idea: If there are simply too many for that, (or you don't love us) :sad: you might try small samples on white, absorbent paper (i.e. paper towel) and applying the lye solution with an eye dropper. Those too, you could make photos of so we could all learn from your experiment.

I will say, that I have learned that the morph with mica can be just subtle enough to affect your intended color but might not be obvious using the paper method. For instance, I have a red mica that turns orange in CP. Once you know that, you can plan ahead and work with it just fine.

I really appreciate all your suggestions! Thanks for the link to the video, Megan -- will check it out.

There are quite a few colors, some with labels, some without. I've been researching the labeled ones at their respective websites.

If there were just a few micas to check, I would probably just do a test in a bit of soap as some of you have suggested. Given the numbers, I was wanting to see if exposure to just lye solution would be a quick go-noGo check. I had gotten the impression that the colorant on some non-soap-safe micas will break down with exposure to lye, so I was thinking if a mica went more or less colorless, that would indicate it is not appropriate to use in soap.

I appreciate Newbie and Daryl's point about color morph during saponification then morphing back (at least partly) after saponification was over. I hadn't thought of that. It certainly makes my thought of a "quick check" not quite so simple and straightforward. But all those exceptions-to-the-rules keep soaping fun, hey? ;)

Lovin' the replies -- thanks again for all your suggestions and ideas!

Latest posts

Back