EO vs FO: Take the Poll

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where Do You Fall on the Essential Oil / Fragrance Oil Scale?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
both. there are market for both, so why not? :D majority of my customers, the first thing they did when they see a soap is picked it up and sniff it. they didn't care if it's EO or FO.

personally, i am not a die hard NATURAL fan. plus, the FOs i am using are skin safe, phtalate free, and came from reputable sources. aside from that, scent only makes up a small percentage in a recipe.

when i am using EOs, i try to create the soap as natural as possible, since it's already halfway anyway..

I have been sensitive to "not from nature" scents since I can remember. It is probably the pthalates(sp?), but I don't want to risk it. I know EOs are safe. I do truly wish I could find a magnolia, gardenia, or honeysuckle EO, though.

I use both. I started with just EO's then started with some FO's and found FO's sold better in my market. So I carry both. More FO than EO these days. Folks like coconut, black raspberry vanilla, lilac etc.

Interesting. For those who sell, I'd be interested to know your top sellers, and do people go for the swirls and colors or prefer natural/neutral white and cream colored soaps?

For my soap, I'm a FO girl. I'm not opposed to EOs, but I save them for use in things other than soap. Except for Orange 10X, that is. I do use that particular one for soap.

IrishLass :)

I love them all; blend them together, use separately. A large number of FO's contain a significant amount of EOs anyway so when I get the opportunity of using an FO with an expensive EO like neroli or roman chamomile, I just think it's a bonus

Almost exactly what Shunt2011 said (sorry still can't use quotes) I started out using EO and only natural colors, but the majority of people in my area want pretty colors and fairly strong scents. I make both, and yet I feel the FO pretty soaps sell better in my area. I have recently made more of the EO soaps with special ingredients, like pumpkin oil, avocado oil etc. But sometimes they are overlooked for the FO swirled soap. I don't sell much except at this time of year, and each week something else is popular, last week lavender, this week Satsuma Guava.

My soaps sell because of the scent and the colors. I make a couple plain soaps but folks here seem to like the colors/swirls. My best sellers are Perfect Man (NG), Bite Me (NG), Lavender (EO), Lemongrass (EO), Lilac and Eucalyptus Mint. Others that sell well are Energy (BB), Teakwood Cardamon (NG), Tea Tree Citrus (EO) Facial bar. It also depends from market to market.

Mainly FO's here..I use EO's from time to time, but there are just so many nice scents out there that you can't get in EO's

Latest posts

Back