Just did my first HP.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyago

Reaction score
And it was cool. I had some questions I would have liked to lobby the forum with before I started but my soaping window was closing so I just went for it. Here are the pics and I'll go ahead with the questions I'd still like your opinions on after.

1st photo is 15 minutes after trace then stirstirstir. Second is 15 after that it looked pretty "vasaliney" but was still way hot with phenolP the third is about 15 minutes after that no reaction to phenolP at that point. I switched the crock from high to low and left it for around another 10 minutes stirring occasionally to see what it as doing. Then turned the crock off to let it cool down for around another 20 minutes then schlopped it into molds. At this point it resembled melted hot glue with an amber tint. I think it did everything it was supposed to do. Does that sound about right?

so, yesterday when I was cleaning my crock and formulating my recipe I decided to test it full of water to see what kind of energy was going through this thing. On the low setting with water it held a temperature around 145 F and on high it held at around 185 F Since that's about where forcing gel in CPOP happens I figured that was where I wanted to cook. Is that right? Also I wanted to add some EO but wasn't sure when to throw it in. I figured while it was cooling when it got below the flash point but didn't know how much to use. I've read about 5% PPO but was a little nervous so does that sound about right for next time? I'd also like a reference of sources for figuring out which EOs are skin sensitizers but will ask about that in fragrance section.

PS now that it is cooling down it is really ugly! I love it! Close up it kind of looks like Freddy Crugers face!

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_4266.jpg

Looks good but it might have been cooked a bit high, next time try it on low and don't stir too much. You have a fair amount of dried soap on the sides of the pot, I only get that when I over stir. You can scrape the dried bits off and form it into a ball for a tester.
I'm paranoid about adding scent to HP because I've flashed burned it all away once and filled the house with burned FO fumes. Even when the soap has cooled down, the crock liner can be very hot. Now I scoop the finished soap into a stainless bowl, scent it then mash in the mold. I use the same amount of EO/FO in HP as I do in CP .50oz PPO.

I agree, I think you cooked it a little high, but that's okay.

Still not getting the whole need to test with phenolphthalein but okay, to each his/her own.

I stir my HP a lot, and I don't get those dried bits, but I scrape the pot with my silicone spatula each time, so nothing sticks to the sides and gets overcooked.

I use FO at about 3% in HP, I don't use EO at all. I add it right after the cook and never have a problem. Well, okay, peppermint in the face was a little intense, but the soap was fine. As I understand, most EO's should be used at a maximum of 3% in any soap, and the bad sensitizers at far less than that. A few suppliers that sell EO's list the IFRA usage rates, check a few of those and that will give you an idea of what you can use more or less of in your soaps.

Flashpoint is something of a debate. Unless you expose it to a flame, flashpoint isn't really an issue. Others feel that the volatile components will break down. I have never had an issue with FO's flashing, but again I don't use EO (I personally consider essential oils unregulated drugs). Try putting your FO in the fridge or freezer while your soap cooks, then add it after the cook, after stirring it down and letting it cool a bit.

I think you are going to be very pleasantly surprised when your soaps come out of the mold and cure (yes, HP still needs a good cure). Those are going to smooth out and look great, and personally I think HP lathers better. Okay, I admit, I am biased, I prefer HP in pretty much every way! :)

Congrats on your first successful HP!

Everything looks good! I am a hot process girl, and have only recently been playing again with cold processed soaps. Your pics look good to me.

I am going to second new12soap's sentiments on hot process bubbling better. I only had a moment recently when I tested a well cured CP beer soap that I used a regular (well tested) recipe. I was disappointed in the bubbles, especially after reading that beer soaps bubble well. Hmmm, I checked the recipe and it is one I use a lot and it's a good bubbly recipe. I used the whole bar of soap, and it's just "meh" at best.

So.....right now, curing on the shelf is the first of several tests where I am making on the same day the same recipe, one hot process and one cold. 8 week cure and then test them side by side. We'll see!!

As for your cook temps...not to derail you too much....I cook on low, with my big older crock pot and my new smaller one and I have never thought that it was overheating. I have always just cooked on low. I didn't think to check the temp of it, but I never felt compelled to.

I consider the cook "done" when the whole mass is smooth and no hard lumps in the center, it can be anywhere from 30-60 minutes depending on the size of the batch and the recipe as well.

Good Luck!! :)

Latest posts

Back