Is it undissolved lye in my soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourTowers

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to soap making and did my second batch of CP soap last Saturday. It is a coffee, olive oil, coconut oil and grapeseed oil soap. It looks and smells great. I do know there is soap ash on the top and I hope I can get rid of, but there are also small, white dots on top too.

I don't see any on the bottom of the soap, and so far not on the sides either. I have been looking to see if it might be undissolved lye, although there didn't appear to be any when I combined the coffee/lye mixture with the oils. I scooped the mixture out several times looking for any, but didn't spot any.

I know the pictures aren't great, but I hope you might be able to tell me if it's lye or something else. Thanks for your help!

IMG_00000123 (800x450) (640x360).jpg

IMG_00000124 (800x450) (640x360).jpg

They're most likely just air bubbles. That can happen when your soap gels, especially if you pour at a thin trace. I had the same thing in a batch of mine that overheated a little.

Hi Austin,

Thank you so much for replying! It eases my mind to know it is most likely air bubbles. I was thinking I might have to throw it out or try to re-batch it. It was poured at a thin trace. I thought for awhile it wasn't going to trace at all, it took awhile.

Thank you, I appreciate your help.

Back