Salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janzo

Reaction score
I made salt bars today, recipe was

Coconut oil 349g
Olive oil 65g
Castor oil 20g

Lye 60g
Water 151g

Salt 227g

SF 20%
Water as percent of oil weight 35%

Before I could get the salt in it had almost seized, I made bars yesterday but with 38% water/oil weight, and it was fine.
Question is I also used a diff fragrance, could it have been this or more likely the percentage change

Thank you for your help

Plugging your numbers into my recipe on SoapMaker, you're using less water, (steeper discount), than I like for making salt bars. The batter is going to be thick once you mix the salt in already, without discounting the water.

That said, if the batter is seizing before you added the salt, I doubt it's the water. The oils and amounts don't look like they'd caused the problem, so I would assume it's the scent. What did you use? Some of the "beach" FO's are high in floral, which can accelerate.

Thank you for your help, I used a fragrance called Ivory musk, a Gracefruit purchase (UK). I will definitely go back to 38% water/ oil ratio, enough of my bright ideas!!!!

No problem. Looking up the Ivory Musk, it does list it as having mild acceleration. Less water can make that "less than mild". haha

I don't find any need for water discounts on salt soaps. They harden fast anyways. Good luck on your next batch.

Thank you everyone for your help. I will try another batch tomorrow at 38% water/oils and a fragrance that I have used before that does not accelerate.

Back