Sanity check on lotion bar cost

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarvel

Reaction score
I have a recipe I use now and the way I have it added up I only am making .8 a lotion bar. :(

Can someone do a sanity check for me?

1.5 oz of beeswax $3.00 for 3 oz
3 oz Mango Butter $7.91 for 16 oz
3 oz Avocado Oil $25.95 for 128 oz
1 tin $15.95 for 12 tins
20 drops FO $5.95 for 4 oz (approx.)
2 Avery Labels $7.97 for 60

This recipe will fill the 6 cup silicone mold at 2 oz each.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Kathie

Math is not my strongest subject (I just got excited because I got a 75% on my latest math mid-term). But, here it goes:

1.5oz beeswax
You bought 3oz for $3.00 to that equals $1.00 per ounce. So multiply 1.5 by $1.00 and get $1.50

You bought 16oz for $7.91 so that is $7.91/16oz which is $.494 per ounce. Multiply that by the 3oz you used which is $1.482

Cost is .203 per ounce, times 3 equals .609

1 tin $15.95 for 12 tins
Per tin is $1.33

This one is a little tricky because it is hard to translate drops in to ounces.

$.13 per label so two labels are $.26

Total (excluding the EO because of the measurement). So it costs roughly $2.60 to make two lotion bars.

Math is not my strongest subject (I just got excited because I got a 75% on my latest math mid-term). But, here it goes:

1.5oz beeswax
You bought 3oz for $3.00 to that equals $1.00 per ounce. So multiply 1.5 by $1.00 and get $1.50

You bought 16oz for $7.91 so that is $7.91/16oz which is $.494 per ounce. Multiply that by the 3oz you used which is $1.482

Cost is .203 per ounce, times 3 equals .609

1 tin $15.95 for 12 tins
Per tin is $1.33

This one is a little tricky because it is hard to translate drops in to ounces.

$.13 per label so two labels are $.26

Total (excluding the EO because of the measurement). So it costs roughly $2.60 to make two lotion bars.

So...$7.80 to make 6 bars??

And grats on the 75 on the math exam!!! I got a "C" on my college math and was proud like it was an "A". lol

Are you making a total of 6 bars or 2? I thought it might have been 2 bars because you had two labels on there. If it is six bars are 2 ounces each then the amount of oils listed is not enough. The amount of oils: 1.5oz beeswax, 3oz mango, and 3oz avocado is only 7.5 ounces, not 12ounces.

I have a recipe I use now and the way I have it added up I only am making .8 a lotion bar......

How did you get to a figure to sell them for? It should be costs x 4 but it sounds like you set a price and then worked out how much your costs were, which is an odd way to run a business

No, I am not selling them yet. And do not have a cost for them yet.
I know that it is x4 of the price per bar. :)

Sorry, I was being thrown by this -

I have a recipe I use now and the way I have it added up I only am making .8 a lotion bar. :(........................

So, based on the other questions here - how much of each ingredient do you use to totally fill the mould (to make 6 bars)? We already have the cost of the ingredients, but need a clear answer on what 1 bar consists of.

Are you making a total of 6 bars or 2? I thought it might have been 2 bars because you had two labels on there. If it is six bars are 2 ounces each then the amount of oils listed is not enough. The amount of oils: 1.5oz beeswax, 3oz mango, and 3oz avocado is only 7.5 ounces, not 12ounces.

I am making a total of 6 - 2 oz bars. And believe it or not, it fills all 6 molds to the top. I looked and I used 1.6 oz of beeswax and 1/4th tsp Vit E and 25 drops of FO in this batch.
The 2 labels is the front label for the tin and the back label.

Sorry, I was being thrown by this -

So, based on the other questions here - how much of each ingredient do you use to totally fill the mould (to make 6 bars)? We already have the cost of the ingredients, but need a clear answer on what 1 bar consists of.

EG,

This is the recipe I used to fill a mold.

1.6 oz beeswax
3 oz Avocado Oil
3 oz Mango Butter
1/4th tsp Vit E
25 drops of EO or FO

I realize it does not add up to 12 oz. Which is weird because all 6 2 oz molds I filled to the top.

Easy answer is to split your costs into product/packaging.

Recipe costs per batch is approximately 3.69. Packaging cost is 1.64 for each unit.

So figure how many units you get out of the batch. If you are filling 6 molds with one batch, then the numbers would be..

3.69 divided by 6 = .62 product cost per unit.

Packaging is 1.64 per unit, soo....Product .62 + Packaging 1.64 = 2.26 total per unit if you produce 6 units from one batch.

Is weird if you can fill 6 2oz molds with less than 12oz of product??? You must have some magic molds, I need to get me some of those. :)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I also make it to be about $2.20 per bar based on the figures.

No, actually I haven't weighed the bars. I ASSUMED (what is wrong with me?) that the silicone mold I bought was 6 molds and they were 2 oz.
They fit in the 2 oz metal tins. I bought them from WSP.

Now it is bugging me and I can't wait to get home and weigh them!!!

Easy answer is to split your costs into product/packaging.

Recipe costs per batch is approximately 3.69. Packaging cost is 1.64 for each unit.

So figure how many units you get out of the batch. If you are filling 6 molds with one batch, then the numbers would be..

3.69 divided by 6 = .62 product cost per unit.

Packaging is 1.64 per unit, soo....Product .62 + Packaging 1.64 = 2.26 total per unit if you produce 6 units from one batch.

Is weird if you can fill 6 2oz molds with less than 12oz of product??? You must have some magic molds, I need to get me some of those. :)

Hope this helps.

lol.....I know right?? EG brought up a good point.......have I weighed them. Noooo........but that is the first thing I am going to do when I get home!! haha

That's the hard part with making products. As Craig said it should be cost x 4 but that's not a reality. I sell my 2 oz lotion bars for 6.00. I have tried to get more and am unable to. I sell a lot of them at this price so I'll continue to do so. Mine cost 1.85 each to make including container and labels. I also use Meadowfoam, Argan and Vit E in mine. It also helps to buy what you can in bulk.

I don't use tins but that price seems pretty high to me. You may want to try another suppler. SKS has that size for $0.55 each, but that doesn't include shipping and that's for buying in bulk, 144 at a time.

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin7.html

Since your packaging costs are so high it may make more sense to look at other types as well.

I don't use tins but that price seems pretty high to me. You may want to try another suppler. SKS has that size for $0.55 each, but that doesn't include shipping and that's for buying in bulk, 144 at a time.

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin7.html

Since your packaging costs are so high it may make more sense to look at other types as well.

This is true. After these tins are sold, I will look at the screw up plastic containers.....like the deodorant bar. Thanks everyone for your help. :p

Latest posts

Back