Do you compensate forthe fats in your liquid subs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boyago

Reaction score
I was just putting together a recipe and thought I'd try coconut milk in place of some of the water and was curious if you calculate the additional fats into your recipe to get your supper fats where you want them. In this case I'm assuming that the fats listed are pretty much CO (is that right?) and that I could just calculate for the amount of lye required for that fat on soapcalc and adjust my NaOH accordingly. So 35g of CO needs 4.64g of NaOH to sap so do I adding that should balance... right?

In this particular case I am making a salt bar with 90%CO lets assume I'm putting an additional 35g of fat into my soap (from the sub) in a 1Kg batch would that give me aprox. another 3.5% SF?

I never do, whether coconut milk or goat's milk. I just figure it is an added bonus. Of course I'm starting at only 5 to 8% SF.

I don't figure mine in either and I too am around 6-8% SF. And in Salt Bars I think a little extra isn't always bad.

I'm with shunt here. I haven't been changing mine, except in one batch I did with some Hemp Oil. Was a little worried about that one with too high of a SF

I do with coconut milk but not other milks. With CM, I use 50/50 split and figure it adds another 5%SF so I adjust the SF lower on soapcal instead of adjusting the lye amount.

Here's a great thread that talks about how to adjust super-fat when using milks: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=46932&highlight=coconut+milk

Not everyone adjusts their super-fat when adding milk, but I usually take mine down a couple of notches because if I don't, the extra fat from the milk starts cutting in on my bubbly lather output. And seeing as how I'm a bubble fanatic and all.... well.... I just won't stand for that! lol

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back