Tallow score

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Some friends of my grandma's butchered a cow and saved the kidney fat for me. I now have 24lbs of beautiful fat in the back fridge. I've never rendered this much and will probably do it in smaller batches.
This is great since I just used the last of my tallow, I'll be set for quite a long time with this:)

Dude...can you hook me up...I only need a little;-):thumbup:

Congrats! Can not begin to express my excitement for you! If you've ever went through the trouble of rendering fat muscle trimmings, you'd be understanding and sincerely appreciative of the magnitude of
24 LBS OF PURE SUET!

Wow. Just. Wow.

Congrats again (can you tell I render often lol?!)

I have rendered fat trimmings before, the quality and amount isn't near what comes from pure suet. Its from all natural grass fed beef too. If you come over and help render it, you can have some:angel:
I am very appreciative, I'm making some soap for the ladies I got it from in the hopes they will continue saving fat for me. Next on my list is to hit up the bison farm, I so want some more exotic tallow.

From what I take, you're well over 1500 miles away. Dad gummit!
I'd be there, I assure you. And yes, pure suet is the golden egg of cow fat (is that even possible?!).
They are some lucky ladies there. Congrats again!

Side note, I bet bison is quite similar to cow...probably be exotic yet not too different in consistency and sap values (if I was guessing).
If you get some, mention it....totally curious on the soap quality now of bison!

Back when we first started soap, hubby did the rendering. Well we both did but he was very active in that. Especially the heavy pot lifting.

Our friends family have an organic beef farm in Manitoba and they would save big boxes for me twice a year (their harvest times). Then they moved back to MB and of course weren't travelling back and forth anymore. :( but those 2 years the butcher and farm family were spoiled with soap.

Always loved the tallow though that we rendered. So white. Creamy. No smell. And awesomely hard bars.

Oh and laundry? Cleanest laundry ever.

I bet bison would be very nice too. I haven't used it but I don't see why it wouldn't be awesome!!

Are you going to do it all in one shot or freeze some??

Okay, I was already totally jealous of the amazing tallow score. If you lay hands on buffalo tallow I may just cry!

Erm, I mean, congrats and enjoy it! Please report back on how fabulous the soaps are :)

I really don't mind rendering too much, its just time consuming. I have a decent system so it will go pretty smooth. I plan on working with 5lbs at a time and freezing the rest. I don't use tallow in many recipes so there is no hurry.

So awesome!! I was SO hoping for some elk fat this year. Especially when my husband called me, wailing on about how freaking much fat this one had! Then I asked if he saved me some for soap, and he was all, "Whu?" Sigh. Won't happen again next year, but it's pretty rare to have an elk with that much fat, so who knows what I'll get!

Can't wait to hear about your adventures in tallow!

Latest posts

Back