Easy to make wood mold.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustBeachy

Reaction score
This is a mold I made based upon some wood molds I found on the internet for sale. As usual my first thought is, I could build that. Doesn't always work out for me, be it cost or the occasional "ok, maybe I can't build that", but this one turned out really well. :p It's a great design, and as it turns out, is quite versatile. This size will make a approximate 3lb mold. WARNING. Do not try to sell these. I'm sure someone has them copyrighted.

The mold is made out of 1x4. I use Red Oak, as opposed to plywood. It tends to hold it's shape longer, without warping and isn't affected by the wet wipe down after use. Plus a 1x4 turns out to be the perfect size, so there is less cutting that needs to be precise. Plywood could be used, but I don't like the idea of plywood and any type of water. That's just me.

Your finished inside dimensions at full size will be 10" long, 3.5" wide and about 2.65 high.

Ok supplies.

1x4 by 4 ft or 6 ft. which ever you can buy at your local hardware. Lowe's has 4 footers.
2 @ 1/4 inch x 6 inch carriage bolts.
2 @ 1/4 inch flat washers
2 @ 1/4 inch wing nuts.

Tools needed.

Tape measure
Power saw, or hand saw
Drill
1/4 inch wood drill bit.

Ok, for the cuts. Cut the smaller end pieces first, so if you bought a 4 ft section you're not trying to hold a 7inch board and cut it at the same time.

Cut 2 pieces 2 and 5/8" long.
Cut 3 pieces 13 and 1/4" long.

This is what you should have . I'm using the pieces from one of my molds, because I didn't feel like building another. Already have 3. ;-) Next is the drilling and assembly.

Cut Pieces.jpg

Last edited:
Now, for the drilling. Mark the drill holes at 1 and 3/4" across the width and 3/4 " from the end. Place two of the long boards exactly on top of one another. , or if you have clamps, you can clamp two of them together. Honestly, I just held mine together while I drilled through both boards. The idea is to get the holes drilled though both boards in the same place.

Using the 1/4" drill bit, drill a hole in both locations, through both boards. Once this is done, you're finished. Now to the assembly and uses.

Drill Marks.jpg

Place the carriage bolts through the holes in one side. Then align the other side and slide the bolts through the holes. Install the flat washers and the wing nuts. Don't tighten them down yet. Do this on a flat surface. Place the third long piece, the one without the holes in between the two pieces. It slides in between. (This comes in real handy when it's time to unmold.) Take the short pieces, and put them inside, short side up. The long side is the exact size as the bottom of the mold, so it all fits together nicely.

Simply tighten down the wing nuts and you have a mold.

Assemble 1.jpg

Assemble 2.jpg

Assemble 3.jpg

You simply line this mold, like you would any other mold. When it's time to unmold your soap, simply loosen the wingnuts enough to allow the sides to pull away and/or the bottom to slide out.

Now, for the cool versatility. Loosen the wingnuts and move the end pieces in and you can reduce this to a 1 lb mold.

1lb test.jpg

If you cut an extra end piece, you can make a double test in the same mold.

2 test.jpg

Or if you want a shallow test, for doing swirls or just because. Raise the bottom up till it hits the bolts.

Shallow Test.jpg

shallow test end.jpg

I like this mold for multiple reasons. It beats having to have multiple molds for tests. It's untreated and unglued, so I can CPOP in it. And it makes unmolding easy. Cleans up easily. Only caveat, is a warning on the bottom. I've never had the bottom fall out during use, I tighten it down pretty tight. But even so, I always carry this mold, when full, with one hand on the bottom. I would highly recommend you do the same, just to be on the safe side. No soap looks good, splattered all over your kitchen floor.

Thanks to you both and you're more than welcome. I was killing some time while a soap was in the oven and the subject of "test molds" came up, sooo.... :smile:

Superb! I love the flexibility (but hate the idea of lining).

Yeah I did too at first, till i saw a different way to line molds. No trying to pleat the ends. Once you get the dimensions down for the first time, you can make a template. I can cut and line the mold in 5 minutes or less.

I hate pleating the ends. I put all my Christmas gifts in bags or baskets, so I don't have to wrap anything. :p

Nice work! I bought one wooden mold when I first started soaping, and that was the last. I've made all the rest. It just doesn't make sense to buy them when they're so easy to make. It also makes silicone liners much more economical to use if you only buy the liner and make the mold yourself. Enjoy your mold! :thumbup:

Thanks for the tutorial!

How does this mold do when banging out air bubbles? Does it loosen up that bottom board?

Thanks for the tutorial!

How does this mold do when banging out air bubbles? Does it loosen up that bottom board?

You have to be careful if you use the modified, shallow option.

Other than that, no problems. The bottom piece is flush with the sides, so dropping it on the floor hasn't caused any problems. Like I said in the tutorial, I've never had a problem with the bottom coming out. I just always play it safe and keep a hand under it when moving. And figured, I better put a disclaimer on it. :cool:

Thanks.

Looks very good.

To be safer with the bottom, you could add two more bolts through the sides and the bottom to keep it really sturdily in there.

That would certainly fool proof it. Probably would need a drill press to do it with though. There would be no room for error. haha.

Another option would be to use a wider board, cut down to size for the bottom piece. Then router out insets into the sides at the bottom. Then the bottom would slide into the channels and with the bolts in place, would be completely secure. I keep meaning to try one, but my weekends have been pretty full lately and I certainly don't want it cutting into my soaping time.:p

If you were worried about the bottom falling out, couldn't you just put in two pairs of "L" brackets at each end supporting the bottom? Attach em to the outside of the side pieces and the bottom would just rest on them, and wouldn't prevent you raising it either.

If you were worried about the bottom falling out, couldn't you just put in two pairs of "L" brackets at each end supporting the bottom? Attach em to the outside of the side pieces and the bottom would just rest on them, and wouldn't prevent you raising it either.

Oh hell ya. Great idea, and solves the entire problem. I'll grab some tomorrow on one of my many trips to Lowes and slap them on a mold.

Great thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back