Almost perfect

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
This is a new salt bar recipe, using palm kernel flakes makes it set up harder faster. Glad it was a small batch. Scented with huckleberry FO.
Was supposed to be bright white and vivid purple but it didn't quite turn out that way.

purple morphed into a weird grey
2nu56bp.jpg

cut at 1 hours, most crumble but the pieces are big enough to use.
sw2t53.jpg

At least the purple is changing back, looks pretty good.
10fq6j7.jpg

Only got two unbroken bars.
15d810p.jpg

Thanks:) the purple isn't quite that blue in real life, it a true grape purple.

I've only used PKO twice now. The first was a 100% PKO and it didn't turn out so well. Its a less soluble soap so it doesn't lather as well as coconut salt bars. With this one I used 70% PKO, hoping that is will lather better.

PKO Flakes contain more stearic acid than regular Palm Kernel oil which would contribute to the setting up faster.

I was flipping thought the new soapcalc today and comparing oils it seems the only two they list with high scores for "cleansing" are coconut and Palm kernel oil. In fact, it's almost like PKO is the opposite of regular palm. Makes me wonder how a soap would do with 45% Palm 45% PKO and 10% castor.

Those turned out beautiful! I love my salt bars. Making some tomorrow. I like 50% sea salt. My salt bars are almost like polished stone when I use them. No scratchiness.

I used 50% salt to oils in this batch. I often use 100% but find that much isn't necessary. Fine salt isn't gritty at all, it dissolves quickly and the soap if very smooth almost like a stone. I recently used a salt bar made with course/medium salt and it sliced my chest up pretty good, I won't use anything but fine or kosher for now on.

Salt bars have a unique creamy lather and leave the skin feeling soft. It can also help some skin conditions like acne or fungus. I also find that I feel cleaner when using salt bars, especially in the summer.

palm kernel oil is often used in place of coconut oil as it has the same high cleansing values. With my regular soap, I use max 20%. One of my favorite bars is 75% lard or palm, 20% palm kernel and 5% castor. Its makes a super hard, gentle bar.

Latest posts

Back