Why/What this awful gel spot?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marilynmac

Reaction score
What's this? Why? Now what?

I made a loaf of GM soap yesterday. It hardened up and was ready to take out of the mold. When I turned it over ...

40% lard , 18%CO, 22%Crisco, 10%Avocado O, 10%Apricot Kernl O.
Superfat 10%

Used 1/2 the water amount to mix the lye, added the same amt of goatmilk to the oils.
Mad oil lemon extra EO, sandalwood FO <-- never had problems.

It's a wet gel 3/8 inch deep. There is gel under the ugly stuff surrounding it, too. The gel is pretty loose, when I stuck it with a toothpick it didn't leave a mark.

DSC00249a.jpg

Yes, it's from overheating. I've had that happen several times when I first started and over insulated my soap and didn't check on it. Sorry it happened, that stinks! I threw mine away as when I tried to rebatch it just didn't feel or smell right. Give it a try though you just never know.

Sad. I did peek at it, but I only saw that it looked "completely gelled". More practice for me! I'm packing up to move for winter, so I guess it's trash. I haven't had anything do a complete gel (even my other batch of GM), so I insulated pretty good.

Thanks

When making GM soap, you really are better off preventing gel. It can be prone to overheating and is just easier to pop in the fridge.

If it makes you feel any better, you are not the only one who learned the hard way about diary and overheating :) Since then, I've just been molding my soaps and leaving them alone in my dining room. They haven't gelled and I'm okay with that.

Latest posts

Back