Insurance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclecticsprint

Reaction score
I was told insurance is necessary for anyone that handcrafts products. Is this true and if anyone has insurance, how did you going about getting it?

I am not a lawyer. I am not based in America.

Okay, disclaimer over - Third party: I think it is only really required when selling your products. I don't know if people get specific insurance to cover themselves in case of accidents around the house, but I don't think that is overly common.

If you are selling, yes, you need it, and it isn't a bad idea if you are giving gifts to friends and family.

If you scroll alllllllllllllllllllll the way down to the bottom of this page, there are a lot of threads about insurance and how and where to get it.

I agree, if you are selling or giving it away to others I highly recommend you insure yourself. You may never need it but if not insured and something happens it could be life changing for you. There are many many posts regarding this on the forum too.

For selling, absolutely. For gifting, optional. If you give to family and friends only and are confident in your product you probably don't need it. However, a minimal policy from RLI is only about $150 per year which might be worth the peace of mind.

I cannot find anything at the end of the page that leads to insurance information. Help!

My understanding is that RLI will only provide a policy if you have a tax ID number; at least that is what I was told when I called them for insurance; they would not provide a policy to me when I told them that I only give my soap to family and friends. Is there any other way to get liability insurance if you do not sell?

Latest posts

Back