Goldenseal and Wheatgrass Infusion Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, when last we left Canoga Falls, Daryl had stopped by the local co-op grocery and picked up all kinds of herbal powders and such for soap making. This weekend I want to use goldenseal and wheatgrass in a batch of cps. The problem is I have no idea how to infuse them. Anybody have and experience with this sort of thing? Both are very fine powders. Do you mix them in oil like oxides? Do you heat the oils? Once infused, do you strain out the residual powder or pour it all in the soap?

image.jpg

When I infuse, I actually purchased small teabags from Nature's Garden they have a pull string that I just fill with whatever I want to infuse and put it in the jar. That way no straining. However, if you don't have something like that you could just put it in your oil and then run it through a coffee filter or multiple layers of cheesecloth. I don't know that a fine mesh strainer would be small enough for powders. I put mine in jars and let it sit for a month or so. Otherwise you can infuse in in a small crockpot on low for a few hours and then strain.

Ah, excellent idea. I could take the tea out of a couple of bags...we actually have some we don't like/drink. What if I put the oil and tea bags in small cups of light oil. I could maybe put those cups on the bottom of a crockpot set to low or in a water bath on the stove top. Love the tea bag idea. Thanks. I'll post pictures of the process that I decide to use as well as the outcome. Any experience with either of these specific powder.

I would put the herbs and oil in jars with lids(I re-purpose pickle or maraschino cherry jars.) If not, you can get water in the oil, and then you have a potential bacteria growth issue.

I would put the herbs and oil in jars with lids(I re-purpose pickle or maraschino cherry jars.) If not, you can get water in the oil, and then you have a potential bacteria growth issue.

Excellent point. I can use jam mason jars with loosely tightened lids like canning. And, while I'm at it, I can probably master-batch the entire bag of powder and store it in the fridge over for use over several weeks. I wondering how much color these will infuse and how it will survive the process.

Would you gel or freeze to get the most color?

You can also add the herbs right to the soap but some can be scratchy.

I considered this option...actually I am still considering this option. The powder is pretty fine, but it could be little scratchy. I think that may be just a trial and error thing. Would one of you please drive to Mississippi and feel my powder?

Latest posts

Back